PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (Erm - make that £2.50 - I picked up a bag of apples as well as the beansprouts, to save myself needing to go up to the supermarket again on Monday! So I made it by a bare 17p; now you know why I need to keep track...)
    Angie - GC May 24 £162.50/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Two spends today: £7.79 at the market and £9.02 at the Co-op where I picked up some ys items - tomatoes, beef mince and two breaded cod fillets - a saving of £2.22. Also got a 25p MOC that I can use next week when I buy the TV guide. Every little helps! :D

Declaring now for April - 21/28 NSDs and £10.40 left in the budget, so happy with that. :) The £10 will go into the holiday fund and the 40p into my Odds & Sods jar. I put £3 pw into this and top it up with any leftover coppers so I always have a small fund for those unexpected bits and bobs that sometimes catch us out eg a birthday card, replacement batteries, a roll of cellotape etc.

Fingers crossed for everyone and "see" you over on the May thread.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Declaring at £102.23/£100... given I've only spent a fiver since the 10th I don't think I can be too unhappy about that!! And that doesn't include the £7 cashback I got off the debit card, so I'm calling it a win.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Well I can't believe we are at the end of April already and I have failed in my recording again. I just seem to do quite a lot of juggling around the accounts and get very confused. All I can say is that it hasn't been a struggle this month, things are finally getting there. I am still having an A$da delivery but haven't had one for a couple of weeks as I've so much in the cupboards. I've paid £24 for a year's mid-week delivery and I figure even if I only have one or two deliveries a month it will be worth it. I've done the occasional pop to the other major retailers and found some better bargains, feels like I'm getting really good at spotting the shopping bargains now. I've set myself a really tight debt-busting target from now on so am going to have to not just keep to budget from now on but beat the budget. Good luck everyone :T:T:):)
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 29 April 2018 at 8:06AM
    Options
    Cotton buds by Johnsons are also now paper, but not the most ethical brand/company.

I also [STRIKE]wake[/STRIKE] am awokenby the cat at 4/4.30am. Not good if it then takes another hour to nod off, and the alarm is then going off fifteen minutes after that.

I am doing pretty well so far, we are eating out of the cupboards and have kept spends relatively low, although we have an impending online delivery tonight from Sainsburys, as their Cashew milk was on offer and the offer runs out 1 May. Tried as i might to get a decent delivery time for this with no luck.

I will add £42 for now as it is roughly that, and add or deduct any difference later.

Good luck all, we are almost there ;)
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    £2.60 spent of s portion of chips yesterday.
    NSD today, won't be tomorrow though as need milk and salady bits..
    Nearly there.. Payday Monday!:T
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Haven't updated all month but just totted receipts up........
    Spends to add: £250.16
    Total spent £264.86

£35.14 left Huzzah!

The cat is running lowon food so I think I'll order that to get it in this month's total.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cotton buds by Johnsons are also now paper, but not the most ethical brand/company.

I also [STRIKE]wake[/STRIKE] am awokenby the cat at 4/4.30am. Not good if it then takes another hour to nod off, and the alarm is then going off fifteen minutes after that.

I am doing pretty well so far, we are eating out of the cupboards and have kept spends relatively low, although we have an impending online delivery tonight from Sainsburys, as their Cashew milk was on offer and the offer runs out 1 May. Tried as i might to get a decent delivery time for this with no luck.

I will add £42 for now as it is roughly that, and add or deduct any difference later.

Good luck all, we are almost there ;)

87p to add. So, I was close :p
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As of end of 17th, my spend for the month was £109.36 / £100

Since then I've spent

London Marathon weekend...
    20th
    Mr T £14.35
    That got us 5 litres of water, 2 packs of 6 bread rolls (reduced to clear) for packed lunches on Saturday and Sunday plus tea on Sunday, a pack of sliced ham and a block of cheese (to go in the rolls), a carton of chilled soup for tea on Sunday, and a tub of mushrooms for tea on Saturday, plus a seeded loaf for my breakfasts, 2 packs of crumpets and a tub of Bert0lli for OH's breakfasts, and a large bottle of cider for OH.

Icel@nd £2
    A bag of mixed veg for tea on Saturday, and a cheesecake as a treat for Friday night

21st
    Mr T £1.16
    Another 5 litres of water !! It was HOT in London, and we got through a lot on Saturday. I needed 3 litres (minimum) for Sunday, so we had to get more.....

And since getting home

24th
    Her0n £3.17
    A reduced to clear coconut and vanilla yoghurt (did 4 breakfasts mixed into muesli), a twin pack of pizzas (had one that night, the other is still in my freezer), and a tub of ice-cream

26th
    Asd@ £1.74
    A reduced to clear tub of chicken mayo sandwich filler, a reduced to clear 400g white loaf (6 slices with the sandwich filler that night, 4 with breaded fish from freezer on Friday night, and the last 4 toasted as part of my breakfast on Saturday), and a cheesecake

27th
    Dicount food store £6
    10 x 100g bags of cola bottle sweets (sugar coated, which are getting harder and harder to find), 3 tins of creamed mushrooms (planning on thnning them down and mixing into cooked pasta as q&e teas), a pack of cinammon crips biscuits, 2 large bakewell tarts, and 4 jars of Holy C0w marinade / cooking sauces (3 Himalayan Hot Garlic which I know I enjoy, and 1 Spicy Bombay Ketchup to try)

So that's another £28.42 to add to my spends from the last 12 days, taking me to £137.38 / £100. Shouldn't (famous last words!) need anything else tomorrow, so I'm pretty impressed with how things have gone since my major overspend at the food festival. I'm especially impressed that my spends in London came in at £17.51 against the £20 I'd allowed extra for the weekend, and that included £5.15 on bits for OH that I hadn't allowed for :) On our return on Monday OH paid for some burgers, rolls and wedges that I used to make tea that night (and left the 2 spare rolls which I used up as part of my tea on Wednesday), so that almost balanced things out ;)
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    To the Marathon Runners, how did you do??? How are you feeling now?
    Slower than I'd hoped, but happy to have completed it - even with all 5 blisters I brought home :eek:

I was hopeful for 6:15, and looking safe for 6:30. At the 6 mile marker I was actually ahead of the game for a 6hr run, but then the heat hit me and I ended up walking most of the rest :o Completed in 6hrs 48mins and 50secs, with over £1300 raised for When You Wish Upon A Star which I'm absolutely stunned about :D

The slower runners amongst us were greeted by several empty water stations, which must have made things even worse for many. Fortunately I always carry a water bladder on my back, so had set off with 3 litres of my own. I did pick up bottles at a couple of the early stations, but when I reached some in the latter part that had very little left it felt good to be able to (safely) decline and leave them for people behind me :)

Came home Monday, with Tuesday booked off work for recovery. My manager (bless her) had allocated me Wednesday as my weekly day off to give me an extra recovery day. I ended up wearing personal walking boots (a larger size than my work ones) with the thinnest socks I own on Thur, Fri and Sat to stop the two worst blister points feeling too much pressure!! Feet are looking much better today, and I've managed a 2.75 mile walk this afternoon in old running shoes and thicker socks with no pain (and no dressings on anything). Hoping to get out for my first run since the event on Tuesday (day off), which will be my 3.7 mile #FinishForMatt run.
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport