We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

2007 Student Loan

Options
I graduated in 2006 and had a student loan.
I have since been overseas and recently returned to the UK where I have started working and seen that an automatic payment has started coming out my account.
I have read various forums that I have a right to challenge the loan request given that it has not been requested in all the time since I graduated. Do I have any rights to this at all?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,455 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Basically, once you earn over the threshold for repayments you start repaying. That is what you signed up to when you took the loan.

Just because they didn't request anything in the mean time is irrelevant.

Did you keep in touch? Log in to your slc account? Notify current address throughout the last 11 years?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you think you should be repaying the loan? If you didn't want to repay it you shouldn't have taken it out in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure