PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pink Recipes

13

Comments

  • Waxy_Bean
    Waxy_Bean Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mine is a recipe for a cake rather than muffins although I am sure you can cook it in individual cases if you want. The colour isn't quite as pink once cooked but is more a speckled pink.

    Cake:

    150g raw beetroot, grated
    200ml groundnut oil
    250g caster sugar
    3 medium eggs, separated
    100g hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
    3 tbsp milk
    200g plain flour
    2tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg

    Frosting:
    180g unsalted butter
    150g icing sugar, sieved
    450g cream cheese
    1tsp vanilla extract


    preheat oven to 170C fan/190C electric/GM 5

    grease and line 2x 20 cm cake tins

    place 1tsp of beetroot in a small bowl and cover it with 2 tsp boiling water (this will colour the frosting later)

    whisk oil and caster sugar, then whisk in egg yolks and milk, fold in remaining beetroot and nuts. sift baking powder and flour and spices into mixture and stir. whisk egg whites in another bowl until stiff, and fold into the mixture. Put into cake tins and bake for 30-35 mins.

    To make frosting - cream butter and icing sugar, blend with cream cheese. Add vanilla extract and some of the beetrooot juice (from above) to colour the frosting pink.

    Once cakes are cool - layer up with frosting and cover tops and sides. Chill in fridge for around an hour until frosting is set.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • eSparkles
    eSparkles Posts: 114 Forumite
    sexymouse wrote: »
    How about this recipe that I found when I googled pink recipes? It's for pink ribbon shortbread:

    http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/recipes.php?recipe=10116

    ooooooo dont they look pretty .. thank you for this .. i didnt think of googling pink recipe's :o .. its not something you would of thought would of been found is it ? lol
  • eSparkles
    eSparkles Posts: 114 Forumite
    Waxy_Bean wrote: »
    Mine is a recipe for a cake rather than muffins although I am sure you can cook it in individual cases if you want. The colour isn't quite as pink once cooked but is more a speckled pink.

    Cake:

    150g raw beetroot, grated
    200ml groundnut oil
    250g caster sugar
    3 medium eggs, separated
    100g hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
    3 tbsp milk
    200g plain flour
    2tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg

    Frosting:
    180g unsalted butter
    150g icing sugar, sieved
    450g cream cheese
    1tsp vanilla extract


    preheat oven to 170C fan/190C electric/GM 5

    grease and line 2x 20 cm cake tins

    place 1tsp of beetroot in a small bowl and cover it with 2 tsp boiling water (this will colour the frosting later)

    whisk oil and caster sugar, then whisk in egg yolks and milk, fold in remaining beetroot and nuts. sift baking powder and flour and spices into mixture and stir. whisk egg whites in another bowl until stiff, and fold into the mixture. Put into cake tins and bake for 30-35 mins.

    To make frosting - cream butter and icing sugar, blend with cream cheese. Add vanilla extract and some of the beetrooot juice (from above) to colour the frosting pink.

    Once cakes are cool - layer up with frosting and cover tops and sides. Chill in fridge for around an hour until frosting is set.

    thank you for this .. i've got everything in the store cupboard except beetroots and groundnut oil .. will have to go on a hunt to see if i can find some before baking day :)
    Erica xx
  • Waxy_Bean
    Waxy_Bean Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eSparkles wrote: »
    thank you for this .. i've got everything in the store cupboard except beetroots and groundnut oil .. will have to go on a hunt to see if i can find some before baking day :)
    Erica xx

    I just use veg oil or sunflower oil (whatever I have in the cupboard) and it always comes out fine.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • eSparkles
    eSparkles Posts: 114 Forumite
    nice one .. thank you Waxy Bean .. I got a huge bottle of veg oil when i went shopping this morning (for all the muffins lol) .. and i am sure the local F&V shop has vacuum packed beetroots. I'll give them a go tomorrow and let you know :)
    Erica xx
  • Waxy_Bean
    Waxy_Bean Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Make sure you buy raw beetroot and not pickled stuff!!
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • eSparkles
    eSparkles Posts: 114 Forumite
    Waxy_Bean wrote: »
    Make sure you buy raw beetroot and not pickled stuff!!

    eeeeek i know .. imagine how rancid that would be lololol
    Erica xx
  • hiya!:hello:

    the raspberry and white choc muffins (if they are the ones from my recipe) won't go pink - if you use very soft, fresh raspberries they may break up and bleed - go a sort of grey, with frozen they tend to stay whole and red! yumm.. have to say, they taste pretty good whatever! :drool: I made a couple of batches last week for school cake sale.

    if you need pink cakes, I would just make a little pink icing and drizzle a little over - not too much as would make it too sickly for my taste!
    Or make a tray bake and ice that!
  • TBH the roast chicken Nigella just served up was pretty pink but I don't think you will appreciate that as a suggestion ;)
  • eSparkles
    eSparkles Posts: 114 Forumite
    bigmuffins wrote: »
    hiya!:hello:

    the raspberry and white choc muffins (if they are the ones from my recipe) won't go pink - if you use very soft, fresh raspberries they may break up and bleed - go a sort of grey, with frozen they tend to stay whole and red! yumm.. have to say, they taste pretty good whatever! :drool: I made a couple of batches last week for school cake sale.

    if you need pink cakes, I would just make a little pink icing and drizzle a little over - not too much as would make it too sickly for my taste!
    Or make a tray bake and ice that!

    ello :)
    yes it was your muffin recipe i saw .. they sound absolutely delicious :T
    The things I bake don't have to be all pink, as in solid colour .. i just thought that maybe the muffins around the berries may look a pinky colour so they would pass lolol
    The rasps i bought are frozen ones .. I also bought a bag of frozen summer berries too mmmmmmm

    Erica xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards