Theft of blue badges - the answer...

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A stolen car costs a lot more money and hassle.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Currently that means having a warden wait for the passengers to return to the vehicle, or referring to CCTV footage (i.e. badge is registered to an 80-year old woman with mobility issues but the young male driver is the only one seen getting out).

There would have to be a check on people leaving the car and returning to it.

Sometimes I dropped my Mum off for an appointment, went off and did some jobs and then came back, parked in a disabled space and went in to collect her.

Just watching me getting out of the car could have lead people to think I was misusing the BB.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,221 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    A similar ratio to the numbers of cars stolen annually in the UK - and people would complain if the police took that attitude...
    And they'd be right to complain, as a stolen car will cost £000s to replace.

But a new BB costs £10.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A similar ratio to the numbers of cars stolen annually in the UK - and people would complain if the police took that attitude...

I bet there are more cars stolen than blue badges. People regularly complain about the polices attitude to vehicle offences, it’s more a case of the policies stink rather than the attitude.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,221 Forumite
    Options
    I bet there are more cars stolen than blue badges. People regularly complain about the polices attitude to vehicle offences, it’s more a case of the policies stink rather than the attitude.

You're right. 86,000 cars stolen in 2016 - Almost 3 per 1,000. Or 3 times more common than BB theft.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Cars cost hundreds or thousands of pounds, blue badges do not.

On your point above, complaining about people who’s disabilities are not obvious to you, have you realised why that is wrong yet?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    There would have to be a check on people leaving the car and returning to it.

Absolutely; that's why I'm talking about a focused campaign. Also I assume most abuses are non badge holders parking to pop into a shop for a couple of mins
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum has a blue badge. Not only does she not own a car, she couldn't drive one if she had it. She's been blind for 70 years.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Absolutely; that's why I'm talking about a focused campaign. Also I assume most abuses are non badge holders parking to pop into a shop for a couple of mins

Not only "shop poppers" but also long term abusers - I see the same cars (without badges) parked in the same disabled spaces for hours at a time on regular ocassions
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not only "shop poppers" but also long term abusers - I see the same cars (without badges) parked in the same disabled spaces for hours at a time on regular ocassions

Are you talking about proper on street bays or car parks that have slapped a bit of paint on the tarmac?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure