Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Renewal documents don’t mention incident.

New Post Advanced Search

Renewal documents don’t mention incident.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
12 replies 1.4K views
ripplyukripplyuk Forumite
2.5K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Someone reversed into my car, which was parked at home. This was last May and I claimed off the third party’s insurer. I informed my own insurer, just for information purposes only, and they later rang me to confirm that they had closed the claim as I didn’t need to involve them.

My renewal documents arrived today and it states that there has been ‘No accidents, claims or losses in the last 3 years’. Obviously there has been an accident and they know about it so why is it not mentioned? They were informed by phone and in writing. Should I write to them again? Or do they really mean no accidents, claims or losses that WE had to pay out for?

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Someone reversed into my car, which was parked at home. This was last May and I claimed off the third party’s insurer. I informed my own insurer, just for information purposes only, and they later rang me to confirm that they had closed the claim as I didn’t need to involve them.

My renewal documents arrived today and it states that there has been ‘No accidents, claims or losses in the last 3 years’. Obviously there has been an accident and they know about it so why is it not mentioned? They were informed by phone and in writing. Should I write to them again? Or do they really mean no accidents, claims or losses that WE had to pay out for?

ring up and ask them or if they have a chat facility use that.
  • eschatoneschaton Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't Direct Line was it?
  • ripplyukripplyuk Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    eschaton wrote: »
    Wasn't Direct Line was it?

Yes, it is with Direct Line. Is this common with them?

I’m reluctant to ring them again just because there won’t be a record of it. I’d prefer to contact them in writing about it (for a second time!).
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    81.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This was last May and I claimed off the third party’s insurer.

Did they settle everything directly with you?
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Did they settle everything directly with you?

I used an AMC. The third party insurer insurer accepted liability (eventually) but it was my solicitor dealing with them, not me.
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is with Direct Line. Is this common with them?

I’m reluctant to ring them again just because there won’t be a record of it. I’d prefer to contact them in writing about it (for a second time!).

I don't think they are very joined up.

I was involved in an accident in January 2016 and was insured with DL as was the other driver.

When it happened I was on the way home from work picking my g/f up on the way. I stopped off at her house on the way home for a bit as I was still suffering from shock, due to the silly cow running into the back of me, whilst I had stopped to let an ambulance with bright flashing lights through. I intended phoning DL once I got home.

Anyway, DL phoned me not long after I arrived at g/f's. I told them that I was also insured with them and was going to phone once I got home.

They took my details and arranged hire car etc.. Afterwards they arranged physio treatment etc.. Then at renewal the accident wasn't mentioned. When I queried this I was told I hadn't reported the accident to them.

It looks like they expected me to phone them again to report an accident that we had already discussed.
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    eschaton wrote: »
    They took my details and arranged hire car etc.. Afterwards they arranged physio treatment etc.. Then at renewal the accident wasn't mentioned. When I queried this I was told I hadn't reported the accident to them.

That’s even worse. They actually dealt with your accident and still didn’t ‘remember’.

I can’t help thinking this is some sort of trap, where people who aren’t too careful or are just very busy, will simply renew without noticing the incident isn’t marked on the renewal documents. Or those who use auto-renew might not notice until later. This could in theory give the insurer an excuse to void the policy for non-disclosure.

They’ve had two phone calls and two letters (one from me and one from my solicitor). You’d think that was enough to fulfill my contractual obligation of informing them of any incidents, but obviously not. It feels strange almost begging an insurer to mark this on my record (and raise my premiums, of course!).
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That’s even worse. They actually dealt with your accident and still didn’t ‘remember’.

I can’t help thinking this is some sort of trap, where people who aren’t too careful or are just very busy, will simply renew without noticing the incident isn’t marked on the renewal documents. Or those who use auto-renew might not notice until later. This could in theory give the insurer an excuse to void the policy for non-disclosure.

They’ve had two phone calls and two letters (one from me and one from my solicitor). You’d think that was enough to fulfill my contractual obligation of informing them of any incidents, but obviously not. It feels strange almost begging an insurer to mark this on my record (and raise my premiums, of course!).

Being honest, it's unlikely that I'll ever go near them again as I'm far from impressed with them.

Be careful with them as they are not adverse to lying if it suits them. That was a different occasion to the accident.

On the bright side, their recommended bodyshop was crap as well and it took them exactly 2 months to fix my car not including another 3 weeks not long after getting it back. The Mercedes C Class hire car cost them £2400.
  • anniecaveanniecave Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I had this when I was with Direct Line also. I even had correspondance from them regarding an accident, but it wasn't listed. I phoned up and they said it had been factored in when calculating the renewal premium, but they just didn't list it.

I went elsewhere after the policy anyway, but I made sure to declare all accidents to the new insurance company.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very worrying to hear many similar stories about Direct Line.

I've gone from often having both car and house insured with them over the years to definitely never going near them again.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support