Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Cheery's country living adventure - Page 78

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cheery's country living adventure

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2.7K replies 197.1K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I was popping in with a massive list but I'd already forgotten about the vouchers so I"ll have to add that too :rotfl:

Anyway, happy solstice MSE chums! :j :j I can't believe we're here already :eek: had yesterday and today off work which is most pleasing :j went on. Little day trip to another city with Mr Cheery yesterday which was cheery, and today I am at liberty to fulfill my massive to do list whatever way I see fit :rotfl:

But the sun is shining!! Finally - feels like it's been raining for weeks :eek: I have had tea in the garden, poo picked the chicken house, pegged out a bit of washing that didn't quite dry on the airer yesterday, pulled up a few wayward dandelions, watered the droopy seedlings in the greenhouse, and done a little bit of matches betting over breakfast :j

Not a bad start!

Off to the cafe now to wake up properly so will make a list... feeling productive today though and of course it's the longest day so have more time to get everything done :rotfl:
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a great start, Cheery :)

I'm slightly discombobulated with midsummer - I actually googled it a few days ago, and did it just now to check - its saying that midsummer is next monday. But the BBC agrees with you, that its today. Its an important lesson yet again about not believing google :o:o:o
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My birthday is 24th June and I always believed it to be mid summer's day, I just looked it up and found this explanation, but TBH I am brain fogged today, so it is as clear as mud:eek:

Article in respect of 2018 here
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is a bit of confusion, but there are actually two different things.

Apparently the solstice is technically a *moment* - so the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere is when the earth is at its most tilted towards the sun. We tend to talk about this as a day, which changes each year (21st/22nd June), but technically it's a moment.

Midsummer's day is always 24th June and (so I have just learned) is one of four 'quarter days' in the UK legal calendar.

So we often talk about the solstice being mid summer, and the solstice IS the longest day, but it's not actually Midsummer's Day, which is a different thing. (and of course it doesn't really feel like the summer has got going by June, so the actual middle of the summer season *feels* like it's kind of July/August to me anyway :rotfl: )

Details here from the Royal Museum Greenwich, who I believe should know what they're talking about when it comes to such matters

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/equinoxes-and-solstices

:D

You learn something every day don't you?? :j
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant to say the solstice is the longest day - the day in the year with most time between sunrise and sunset. (Well, that's the summer solstice obviously- the winter one is the shortest one, and the two equinoxes are mid way between when light and dark are equal).

But people do talk about the solstice as being midsummer, which is what makes it confusing I suppose- especially as somewhere along the line we declared there was a separate thing called Midsummer's Day :rotfl:

Anyway, whatever it's called, it's a lovely cheery sunshine day :j
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other news... in a bid to use up some of this giant egg pile :rotfl: I made a load of crustless quiche things for lunch (and there are several leftover which I'll have for tea) and am now experimenting with these egg biscuits

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipes/egg-biscuit-recipe/ad8a8hb0

No butter (which is good as I don't currently have any :rotfl: ) just eggs, sugar, flour. Let's see what they turn out like :j
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using those terms interchangeably my whole life :o:o:o dear me. I can't quite believe we're here, actually - it's too soon! Thanks for the links - and happy birthday, Maddie!

Egg biscuits sound eggscellent, Cheery :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of people use them interchangeably! I knew there was a difference, but had to look u what it actually was :rotfl:

Egg biscuits were indeed egg-cellent :rotfl: :rotfl: and I thought I'd finished them all :o but just remembered there are a couple left over in the oven :j Will definitely be making those again, very simple, no butter (which we often don't have in anyway) and very tasty :j I think they'd be good with a bit of almond flavouring...

Anyway, I have spent much of the day either pottering about tidying, or out in the garden scything (once the chicken s went to bed of course). Over 2.5 hours of scything this evening (timings by the number of podcasts I listened to :rotfl: ) I suspect I"ll pay for that tomorrow :eek: :eek:

Still, the garden does look rather less wayward than it did :rotfl:

Worryingly there is still rather a lot that I haven't done yet :eek: and some bits that are impossible with a scythe, too close to walls, or over stones etc. Thank goodness the strimmer just arrived in the post :rotfl: must remember to get some petrol for it tomorrow...

I don't for one minute wish I was back in the city but I'm just saying that my little teeny tiny garden used to be able to go from overgrown mess to perfectly respectable well before lunch :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evening chums :hello:

Well I am pleased to report that I'm not physically paying toooo much for all that scything today :eek: :rotfl: And in fact I even managed a bit of 'solidarity raking' (raking up some of my grass cuttings while the guys in the next field were still bringing in the hay at 9.30 :rotfl: )

Cheery day today mostly :j Pottering this morning, then went to a gig Mr Cheery was doing this afternoon at a kind of community event - it was a bit of a palaver as it happened (they were told to get there at 12, and booked to play at 2pm, which then turned into 3pm, which then turned into 4pm, which then ended up as 4.30, when most people had gone home (it finished at 5). I do understand how these little events can get overwhelmed with organisation, but it doesn't half play havoc with your day (especially when you're not being paid to do it!)

So the poor chicken ladies have been shut in their run again since about 11 this morning, although we did sit with them for a bit when we eventually got back and I think they've forgiven us :o :rotfl:

Anyway, money saving things...

Realised I'd still not downloaded the YNAB app on the new phone :o so that's been done now :o Still not checked banks etc since I was paid the other day (in fact since a few days before that I don't think...) Going to try to do that now :o A big mess I imagine :o

Mr Cheery's been eating a load of raw carrots lately, and tends to peel them, and the peelings go in the compost. This morning I spied them sitting there and had a brainwave - why on earth am I not making them into soup?! What kind of MSE-er am I?! So I cooked them up for about 5 minutes with some onions, garlic, lentils and a stock cube, then turned the cooker and left them sitting all day, and heated up when we got back tonight. Tasty and bargainous soup :money:

Not much else MSE to report :o Been a bit of a spendy day - went out for lunch with a pal (although that only cost £5), had an expensive ice cream at the community event, and FINALLY bought a pair of sandals that I can actually wander about in :j :j Very pleased with them, and 'only' £25 (kind of wish they weren't pink... but I've been looking everywhere for the right thing, and they were from [email protected] so not much choice...)

Anyway, more tomorrow, getting rather tired now and might just head to bed :o
  • debtfreeonedaydebtfreeoneday Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soup sounds delish..
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £64,319.45