Cheery's country living adventure

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
3K replies 213.9K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're all right of course :D I'm not very good at loafing :o :rotfl: :rotfl: It's been really rainy here today, so when we got back from our little jaunt, I spent most of the day on the living room floor with the laptop doing work on my diploma - I'm planning on having everything finished by September, with a view to it all being marked and signed off by March next year :j

Me and a buddy who've been doing this together since the start decided we'd been drifting long enough - there's no set deadline, and we started in 2014 :eek: :eek: :o So we figured it would be nice to draw it to a close together. Now of course we're engaged in a race to get our portfolios together :eek: I'm winning :P as half of mine has already been written up and signed off. But I suspect he will overtake from behind - he has done all his design work, but not written anything up, whereas I've still got design work to do...

Anyway, a cheerful and enjoyable day, and the sun even came out for half an hour before so I got outside, hung out with the chicken ladies for a bit, and did a bit of weeding.

Oh, and we have APPLES! :j :j Well, tiny little starting-to-be-apples :j :j I can't tell you how exciting this is. I've had an apple tree in a pot for years (that I grafted myself from two sticks) and it's only ever produced ONE apple in all the years I had it, and that shrivelled up and died before it was edible.

Now it has several apple tree friends to help with pollination, and it has loads of apples growing on it! :j :j And so do the others - not sure I'll harvest many from the one year old ones, as you're meant to leave them to gather their energy I believe. But my old one I can harvest from, and a couple of the new ones (and the two plum trees, which have mini plums growing on them) are two years old when I bought them, so I'll be able to harvest SOMETHING at least :j :j

More than makes up for the fact that I forgot to plant the garlic :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Mortgage end date at start: Feb 2043
    Mortgage end date now: Feb 2033
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I know what I meant to say!

Almost missed an email from Circle earlier - apparently we can't use them after July so need to withdraw all dosh now.

I only used them for fee-free withdrawals from Prolific anyway, but it did remind me I had £4.94 sat in there. That's now withdrawn and account will apparently be automatically closed.

And now I really am going to sleep!
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finishing a diploma! Apples! Plums! The collection of forgotten money! Yay!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks :j :j Yes I am MOST excited about the developing fruit :j :j Will just have to make sure I get some of it before the birds do! :j :j :j

Spent some of the last couple of days reading back on my old diaries on here :o Gosh how times change :eek: and yet stay the same :rotfl: :rotfl:

Five years ago I was working 4 days a week, we were still paying off Mr Cheery's old mortgage.

Four years ago we'd started to look at mortgages, and declared we'd only take one for 10 years, and not more than £50,000 :rotfl: :rotfl:

Three years ago I'd got a new full time job :eek:

Two years ago we were in the final throes of DIY, and had almost put an offer in on the first of the three new houses we offered on

18 months ago we were in the throes of will-they-ever-give-us-a-mortgage despair (gosh that lasted SOOooooooo long :eek: )

One year ago we'd actually moved :eek: but the budget was all over the place, our savings were in tatters :o

And now look. Budget still all over the place :o :rotfl: New matched betting enthusiasm :j Slowly growing more and more things.

And throughout it all... I'm still !!!! at NSDs :o :rotfl: Still spending far too much on tea and cake. Still making full use of my Budget Fiddling YNAB category. Still not doing YNAB as often as I should (in fact I got a new phone and haven't downloaded the app yet :o )

Funny thing, life, isn't it? :j
  • MoneyfordreamsMoneyfordreams Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheery Daff I love reading of your life events... It is a joy :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    Re mortgage August 19 £110470, HSBC 0, Hfx £0, NW £0 M&S £0, MBNA £8900
    … Mortgage £103000
    plus car £5000
  • debtfreeonedaydebtfreeoneday Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the last ten years of my life would be a pretty mad list... from moving to the end of the country, having twins, redundancy, employment, no employment, starting school, taking them out of school and numerous diagnosis’s for them.
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £61,996.97
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw bless you money for moneyfordreams :o I assure you there was plenty of tedious stuff in there too! :rotfl:

Gosh debtfreeoneday that does sound like a rollercoaster :eek: hugs to you and yours. Hope you're getting the support you need xx

Well, Greying will laugh at me today - I tried to use up the last of some J0hn Lewis gift vouchers only to find they were TWO YEARS out of date :eek: :o :rotfl: apparently I can ring up and beg for forgiveness so that'll be my first job tomorrow :o Only about a tenner between them but even so... I've been carting them round for about 3.5 years it seems. :o :rotfl:
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember I did ask for the term to be reduced last time we made an overpayment, but forgot this time as I was too busy asking about the interest :o But I shall make a note to ask next time! We're quite away off being anywhere near 20% at this stage... :o :rotfl:

Stick it in writing to them that unless you state otherwise ALL OP's are to be put against the term - that way if you forget to say, problem should be solved anyway... ;)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
  • Greying_PilgrimGreying_Pilgrim Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Greying will laugh at me today - I tried to use up the last of some J0hn Lewis gift vouchers only to find they were TWO YEARS out of date

Sweetie, I would never laugh at you :kisses3: - the only person I laugh at, is mine own incompetent self :o May your request for clemency fall on graceful ears that have the authority to grant your 'oh so last year(s)' vouchers leniency, and imbue them with new life and a 'best before' date, at some future point. By which time, you can have decided what to 'fritter' them on - to achieve best bang for buck-ness :D

Greying X
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
  • debtfreeonedaydebtfreeoneday Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you get the. Vouchers sorted x
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £61,996.97