Cheery's country living adventure

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,738 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hmm - well now I've sorted out cash I've had to plonk £74 in the budget fiddling category :o :eek: :eek:

Probably not as bad as it sounds - I just haven't kept receipts for stuff like postage, I forgot to put that parking in there from yesterday and I know we've had at least one cafe trip where I've paid in cash.

I've said it before, but I MUST start using the app on the phone more often - or at least reconciling the budget more often - haven't done it since payday last month and it's rolling around again next weekend :eek:

Hey ho. All sorted now

Also...

I've got £11.07 in Prolific - going to make a concerted effort this week, would be lovely to have collected another £20 before the end of the month towards the mortgage :j

1800 ish yougov points - probably about 87 years to go :rotfl:

About £1.80 in M0rrisons points

Found my t3sco card the other day so must put that in my purse, and see if I can figure out where the n3ctar card is too - we've got different petrol stations out here so I do sometimes find myself filling up in one of them.

That's it I think. And now I might just go bed - at least I can't spend anything there... :o :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a lot, Cheery! Heavens! Magazines and DDs, car insurances, lunches, library books, marriage certificates (!) and breakdown cover, huge amount of stuff! No wonder you don't do YNAB as often as you feel you should do - ahem, says she, having submitted only two sets of meter readings to my utilities supplier for an entire year :o

I like your listing of points etc on the different cards - I keep thinking my Nectar points are suddenly going to explode :D because I paid for the kitchen on a Nectar credit card, but nothing so far :rotfl:

Loving your HM bread and lentil soup, though, thats really class! I bet you it tastes much, much better than anything you could buy as a takeaway when you go into the city.

Hope it all goes well. Do you make chicken-type noises to the chickens in the morning? I was thinking of asking you to say hello from your internet friends :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sleep well :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cheery, I have a PIN with my library card that lets me renew books online, and access various magazines for free via Pressreader and RB digital. This includes gardening magazines and country living for the pretty pictures, and its easy to take a screen shot of any pictures I want to keep. Country smallholding is on Pressreader (under animals and pets).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you thought of signing up to ‘readly’ where you pay about £8 month and get access to loads of magazines online? Worth a look.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Ooh, thank you for your excellent suggestions! :j Redo, I too have a PN with my library card, and should make more use of it (not least for actually renewing things!) Keep forgetting about magazine subscriptions online... will investigate :j and will investigate Readly too Flo, thank you :) I confess I do like a paper magazine :o:o but I like a paid off mortgage more :rotfl: :rotfl:

NSDs yesterday and Monday :money: Oh, except food shopping and diesel on Monday, so that wasn't really a NSD :rotfl: Today I'm at home this morning, but heading into the city this afternoon. Planning to just be in the office for a few hours (saying hello, doing a massive amount of printing, swapping some library books) then walking to a friend's house for tea :j Not planning to spend anything...

Ooh, had a letter from AutoAid so it looks like I am actually covered :j Annoyingly it didn't actually have the number on that you need to ring in event of a breakdown though so I need to figure that out :rotfl:

In the meantime, best get on with some work I suppose...
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Where does the time go?! :eek:

So, my lack of library organisation cost me £9 :eek: :mad: entirely my own fault - i have an online pub, i knew my books were late, i just never got round to doing anything about it :eek:

Hey ho, lesson learned (til the next time...)

Still, got a bargain on a present i bought for a relative - cost £22, and i tried to buy it in one shop but the queue was huge (having a pang of guilt as i actually dropped it on the floor! Wasn't damaged and i was going to buy it anyway but after standing in the queue for about five minutes without it moving i have up :o )

Anyway, the second place i went (in a different town) had £5 off, and the bloke put it through the till at £15 - I did point out that he'd diddled himself out of £2 but he wouldn't let me pay the extra, bless him. So i ended up with £7 off (almost enough to cover the library fine...)

Payday today, but i didn't do banks etc as i was too busy being listless and annoyed with myself for having a useless day at work so i had a useless evening too :o :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm here on my own tomorrow evening though so that's a job for then...

Dipping my toe into the murky world of matched betting this week :eek: in all my time on here I've never dared... But for various reasons I've now become brave enough to at least read all the instructions :rotfl: £11.48 profit so far :money:

Not going to quite believe it til I've made enough to withdraw fully what i started with but it's looking good so far :j so that should nicely improve my mortgage overpayments if it all works out :j

Did some batch cooking at the weekend :j not done any for ages! Had curry for two meals a day for two days, now moved on to lasagne - got three portions left in the freezer now :j

What else? Chickens all present and correct - new ladies have learned that I'd they hang round by the back door they'll likely get treats, so now whenever we open the door all five chickens hop straight into the house - and of course the only way to get them out is to throw corn outside so they go back out again :rotfl: pesky things!! :rotfl:

Right now though i should probably go to sleep... (Oh and i must remember to ring the dentist tomorrow - had an answerphone message saying i was due a checkup - surely i can't have gone 6 months without going to the dentist? Not managed that for years, something always goes wrong in between!)
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,920 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We have similar with one of our cats - he gets into the kitchen and hides down the side of the oven (he just fits!) - he knows the only way we can get him out is if we give him treats! Animals are much more cunning and clever than some people give them credit for!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's great on starting the matched betting! As long as you follow the rules, and know yourself and your potential weaknesses, you'll do great, easily £1k, more if you keep it up.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    edited 19 March 2019 at 10:54AM
    Options
    :rotfl: at your pesky cat themadvix :rotfl: They really are dreadful :rotfl:

I left my ladies shut in this morning when I went for a run (well I let them out of their *house* of course, just left them shut in their *run*) as it was quite foggy and the old farmer down the road has warned us the fox often will strike in the fog and I'm not willing to risk it (especially not given what's just happened to the lovely edwink's hens on the hens and ducks thread :(:(:( ) I'm sure mine are objecting, but they have plenty of breakfast and it's for their own good.

Having said that, the fog is lifting so I'll give it another half an hour and let them out.

Right - about to put off work for another little while and delve into YNAB...

Oops, sorry, got distracted in the middle of that and forgot to reply KC :o Good advice :D I know myself and that I am very risk averse :o so unlikely to start a wild fit of gambling. Also unlikely to go very fast as I'd rather just have one bet on the go at a time (at least while I get my head round things) so having to wait for each thing to finish before I start the next.

Of course, I do have an impatient side :o but my cautious side usually wins out where money is concerned :rotfl: (not in other areas of life sadly - impatient often wins there!) So I've currently got a free bet on a match tomorrow (which should get me the grand sum of £6.34 I believe :rotfl: ) and then once that's over, I'll do the next sign up. Slowly, slowly...

Right - YNAB (might make another cuppa first, not done it for a couple of weeks so it's probably a mess :o:o )
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another one here who has to use treats to lure the cat various places, the rattling of the pouch always gets his attention :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback