Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Cheery's country living adventure - Page 61

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cheery's country living adventure

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2.7K replies 198.7K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yawn.

Now received renewal quotes for both cars - £180 and £317 (total £497). Cheapest quote for both together is for £505, and that includes occasional business use - which would mean I could register to claim expenses, rather than driving to work and then getting the train, which is a nuisance (although I don't do it very often anyway).

Logged in to retrieve and check quote - got right to the end after editing details and they're 'experiencing technical difficulties' so can't quote :mad:

There's a phone number but I've got to go out in half an hour and am in NO mood today to sit and read out all the details I've just put in :mad:

Also noticed that the renewal invitation for one of the cars says 9 years no claims bonus. This is VERY sneaky. This would be the third year we've been with them. The first time, we got proof of NCB from previous insurer - of 9 years NCB. Last year when the renewal notice came, it said 4 years (when presumably it should have been 10) - I quibbled and they said 'oh, sorry' - refunded me £50 and changed it.

This year, it says 9 years - by my calculations it should be 11 now!

So even if we switch, that's another phone call to them to sort that out so we've got the right proof for the new people, and that means the inevitably arguing with them to talk to me because the policy is in Mr Cheery's name (and he won't ring them, would rather just take the 2 year NCB hit).

This is the main advantage for me of having both cars on one policy - that the overall policy is in my name, so they will actually talk to me on the phone without faffing having to get 'permission' :mad:

Urgh. Need a soothing cup of tea before I go out I think.

Feel like I'm wading through a quagmire of bureaucracy and nonsense right now. Normally I can handle this sort of stuff but right now it feels like there's so much of it it's wearing me down :o

Oh, and one of the chickens appears to have roundworm on top of everything else :eek: So that's another £30 on medication :eek:

<cheery goes to hide under a rock>
  • TescodealqueenTescodealqueen Forumite
    814 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I can't think of any insurance companies that go over 9 years no claims I always thought that was the maximum as at one point we hadn't made a claim for 20 years and still only had 9 years NCD
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <cheery goes to hide under a rock>
    <puts a nice piece of cake by the rock, nicely protected in a pyrex bowl>

<puts a plate of mealworms down too>
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :o Thanks KC :o

Gosh I was grumpy yesterday :o Much better today :D but had a rough night's sleep (very unusual for me) so feeling quite like I'd like to go to bed soon... :o

Not much financial to report. Not been anywhere (other than for a nice walk round the fields about 4pm, it was lovely a still in the last of the sunshine, almost like spring!) Tried to edit and pay for the car insurance quote but it's still got an error message - going to just ring them in the morning.

Checked the bank account in case the savings had gone in so I could do some shuffling, but it's not there yet (apparently it has left the saving account though so should be with me tomorrow). Not impressed with the 'instant' access - transferred money in on 31st Jan and it will have taken til 12th Feb to get it back out again - good job it wasn't an emergency! :eek:

But other than that nothing financial to report (probably a good thing...)

Chicken ladies have been outside again today :j Weather was lovely, and they pathered over to their little dust bathing area, and then up to their run, and seemed to be slowly re-acclimatising themselves to their little spaces :j :j Lovely to see them out in the sunshine.

I spoke to the charity we got them from and have put our names down to collect another three hens next weekend :j Feel a bit bad replacing the others so quickly :o but they're much happier in a little flock, and hopefully trying to lord it over the new ones will bring these ones back to their normal selves a bit more quickly :rotfl: New ladies are currently in cages :( so it'll be lovely to see them getting used to being in the fresh air :j

One day I'm going to add up all the money we've spent on the chickens and divide it by the number of eggs we've had :eek: :eek: Or perhaps not :eek: I reckon on current estimation it's probably about £15 an egg :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • gallygirlgallygirl Forumite
    17.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with introducing the new girls. I remember when DS did it with [STRIKE]my youngest grand chicks[/STRIKE] their two new ones - very stressful, we both felt we should just bung them in and let them get on with it, his GF hid upstairs and eventually I had to make him intervene as the youngsters were getting excessively em.... hen pecked :(.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks gallygirl, let's hope that won't happen :eek: although as ever I will anticipate a bit of hen-pecking at least :(

Ladies seem MUCH brighter today, and are starting to be a bit of a nuisance, knocking food bowls over and pestering for treats. This is a good sign :D although yes, a bit of a nuisance :rotfl: Mesh should arrive today so Mr Cheery can get on with stoat-proofing their run - and it seems they will be ready to go in it as soon as it's ready (probably a few days in reality, it's not a small job and we're not here tomorrow).

In other financial news - I actually sorted out the car insurance this morning! :j :j Before 8.30am!! :rotfl: Phoned up and spoke to someone as it wouldn't let me do it online (but fortunately she had access to all the details I'd put in).

Did something stupid though (now sorted) - started both cars on the same date, thinking I'd just cancel the current insurance for the smaller one two weeks early (it doesn't run out til 2 weeks after the other one).

But (of course) as soon as I got off the phone I realised that this would probably void my entire year's No Claims Bonus :eek: and since I actually only have ONE year anyway, I'd be back to having zero. Rang old insurer to check, then had to ring new one back again and take the small car off again, and will have to ring back and put it back on when it's actually run out at the start of March.

Clear as mud, yes? :rotfl: :rotfl: Good job it doesn't start for a few days anyway :rotfl:

Next financial job (yawn) is the house insurance - got a couple of days to sort that one out (runs out on 14th). Haven't done any comparison stuff at all yet, was prioritising the car insurance and couldn't deal with doing both at once :o Will put an hour aside to spend on it tonight.

After that, the only other thing in the next couple of months is the breakdown cover for the smaller car. Going to investigate the possibility of adding it to the car insurance, which I've never done before. Got very cheap cover at the minute for that car (£40 I think) - only had to ring them once and had to make a choice between whether they came and tried to fix it, or recovered me to a garage.

What I actually want is a policy where they try to fix me, and if they can't, then they take me to the garage. Not one or the other! :eek:

But that's not til the start of March - house insurance first!
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Axa for the breakdown cover Cheery - we've been with them for a few years now for both cars and they are both cheap and highly efficient. We have home start, recovery & onward travel on ours, and I seem to recall I paid around £60 each car this year. (My money notes in the other place probably tell you come to think of it! :rotfl:)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks EH, I'll check when it gets closer to the time.

Trying to log into Prolific today - just one tiny 20p survey but I'm up to just over £5 in there now.

Not logged into YouGov for yonks - just did one though and am up to 1710 points - will be a while til payout but worth making an effort I suppose...

Not had a survey from the secret site for yonks either so just logged into there too - 100 points and it seems the last survey I did was May... Last email I had from them was May too - would I have been notified if I'd been taken off the panel do you think??
  • edited 12 February 2019 at 3:10PM
    EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 February 2019 at 3:10PM
    I spotted that I'd not had anything from them in ages a while ago, and emailed asking about it - got a little flurry from them soon after if I remember rightly. Annoyingly though theirs are no longer guaranteed if you get sent them - you have to go through screening now.

You just reminded me that I had a survey from them by the way - thank you! :rotfl:
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh that's annoying. Might email them to ask.