Disputing an incorrect default - who to contact?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
26 replies 2.1K views
mattk1ukmattk1uk Forumite
46 Posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi everyone,

There is a default on my credit reports (Experian, Equifax and Callcredit) which is incorrectly dated 24/03/2015 when it should be 12/06/2013, nearly two years late.

The original debt was with a Tesco credit card which was then sold on to Cabot Financial and I have been in touch with all three credit reference agencies to dispute the date. However, the credit reference agencies have all replied to me saying they have investigated my dispute with Cabot Financial and they say it is correct.

I have now found the original default letter from Tesco so I have proof that it is incorrectly recorded, but who should I contact about getting it corrected, Tesco or Cabot Financial?

The main reason I’m asking for advice on here is that I’m worried if I contact Cabot then I will be seen as acknowledging the debt.

(I know some people will say I should pay the debt back but that is another story concerning an ex fianc! which I won’t bore people with the details of).

Thanks for any help here, I will be very grateful. :)

Replies

• T-G-CT-G-C Forumite
    591 Posts
    ✭✭
    I can see the concern surrounding the date, assuming you are counting down to mark expiration, but I cannot see how they have reported a default on the wrong date - especially the day, month and year.

Are you sure it wasn't an oversight? Did you accumulate another default after the first one in 2013? As it was a while ago, perhaps it wasn't noticed?

If the CRA investigated the dispute and the provider, who is in charge of that mark, has declined to remove it and confirmed its valid, there is little room to budge.

The CRA themselves do not have permission to remove it directly, as this would breach neutrality on their part, however if the provider agrees to investigate further and finds a fault, it will be rectified accordingly.

If someone else here has had the same experience, perhaps their advice would be more helpful, however this has never happened to me and seems like a rare occurrence, if their fault.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    23.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Debts only default once.

The situation can easily be rectified by complaining to the original creditor, who registered the default in the first place, enclosing a copy of the default letter.

That would probably be sufficient, but you always have the ICO to fall back on.

Your problem is all of this would most likely, result in you acknowledging the debt, it’s catch 22, you would have to word your letter very carefully.

Your best bet is to use the phone instead, to sort this matter out, as only written acknowledgment counts
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you.........Private Frazer".
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    mattk1uk wrote: »
    There is a default on my credit reports (Experian, Equifax and Callcredit) which is incorrectly dated 24/03/2015 when it should be 12/06/2013, nearly two years late.

[...]

The main reason I’m asking for advice on here is that I’m worried if I contact Cabot then I will be seen as acknowledging the debt.

Wait until it's statute barred, which may be sooner than June 2019. When was your last payment to the account?
  • mattk1ukmattk1uk Forumite
    46 Posts
    Hi T-G-C, many thanks for your reply, definitely didn't accumulate another default after the first one. I've gone over everything with a fine tooth comb :)

Sourcrates, thank you also for your reply. It really is a catch-22 isn't it, I couldn't come to a conclusion myself so I thought it best to get other people's opinions. The last thing I want to do is acknowledge the debt and the clock start all over again :-/

Snowtiger, thank you also for your reply :) The last payment to the account was 04/09/2012 so the first late payment was 08/10/2012. Is it six years after this date that it becomes statute barred?
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    83.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the Debt Collection agency lost contact with you?
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
    46 Posts
    Hi Thrugelmir, they didn't try to contact me for a long time then out of the blue started sending me letters again and calling my phone :-/
    46 Posts
    Something just come to me, about 6 months ago the Cabot Financial letter that arrived out of the blue took me by surprise so I emailed them to ask where the debt came from. They then sent another letter telling me the original lender was Tesco, worried now that this may already be considered me acknowledging the debt?
  • redpeteredpete Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something just come to me, about 6 months ago the Cabot Financial letter that arrived out of the blue took me by surprise so I emailed them to ask where the debt came from. They then sent another letter telling me the original lender was Tesco, worried now that this may already be considered me acknowledging the debt?

If all you did was to ask what the debt is then it won't count as acknowledging the debt.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    46 Posts
    Thank you redpete, I was worried about that email :-)
  • edited 12 March 2018 at 11:02PM
    DandytfDandytf Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2018 at 11:02PM
    Hi everyone,

The original debt was with a Tesco credit card which was then sold on to Cabot Financial and I have been in touch with all three credit reference agencies to dispute the date. However, the credit reference agencies have all replied to me saying they have investigated my dispute with Cabot Financial and they say it is correct.

I have now found the original default letter from Tesco so I have proof that it is incorrectly recorded, but who should I contact about getting it corrected, Tesco or Cabot Financial?

The main reason I!!!8217;m asking for advice on here is that I!!!8217;m worried if I contact Cabot then I will be seen as acknowledging the debt.

(I know some people will say I should pay the debt back but that is another story concerning an ex fianc! which I won!!!8217;t bore people with the details of).

Thanks for any help here, I will be very grateful. :)

Anyone of the CRA!!!8217;s should be able to start helping.
    Only genuine example I had logged was with co op and link-though with change my file help it was soon established that I only have one default not the two different dates I had been viewing. change my file started by providing contact details for both involved parties and 1 written letter and a call or 2 from me.
    As I mentioned try using one CRA -be it changemy file or noodle or ClearScore or Experian and report what info you have and it should help you being establishing if the default is corrrect or not
    Replenished CRA Reports.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    H.L. Active -Charter Savings .50% 125 u.k. pounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides