IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Clarity between Membership and Logo - IE: BPA/IPC

Options
justnotgoodenough
justnotgoodenough Posts: 20 Forumite
edited 7 March 2018 at 12:20PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Currently writing a response to a Letter Before Claim for a PCN.
(And preparing a defence for Court Claim just in case).

While researching the company who has issued the PCN they are displaying a BPA logo on their website in several places - but Ive checked and they are not a member.
(They use IPC)

I was wondering if this can form any part of my defence, Im not solely relying on this but every little thing may help if this ever reaches court.

Or if not if I can at least report it or use it to cause a headache for the company in question even if it doesnt help me.

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Parking scammers can be members of both organisations, just like you can be members of more than one motoring club etcetera. They can however only be a member of one Approved Operator Scheme (AOS) which is indicated by a roundel.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is covered in the NEWBIES thread in the Q&A.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • justnotgoodenough
    Options
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Parking scammers can be members of both organisations, just like you can be members of more than one motoring club etcetera. They can however only be a member of one Approved Operator Scheme (AOS) which is indicated by a roundel.

Thanks for the reply - so they can use the logo for BPA and IPCEven though the BPA doesn't have them listed anymore.

(Sorry if this is an obvious question).
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply - so they can use the logo for BPA and IPCEven though the BPA doesn't have them listed anymore.

(Sorry if this is an obvious question).

There are two types of membership and logo. One is a corporate membership open to any parking company and the other is being in the Approved Operators Scheme (AOS) and parking companies will only either be with the BPAs or IPCs AOS scheme.

BPA-Logos-together-3.png
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you need to learn the difference between being a corporate member as opposed to being both a corporate member as well as an AOS member

the fact they are not listed in the AOS means just that, that they do not use the BPA arbitration service

think of it as like having a Barclays bank account for "extras" and savings, and an HSBC account that has all the wages and direct debits and standing orders paid into and out of it

no reason why a parking company cannot be in 2 , or 22 recognised trade bodies

the shape of the logo is important , you never specified which one you saw

and as mentioned earlier its been covered scores of times on here and is in the NEWBIES sticky thread

if you quote that they are not in the BPA and they prove their corporate membership of the BPA, you are going to look a fool that hasnt done their homework properly

even the MP,s slagged off the BPA about 5 weeks ago in the Houses of Parliament , saying they were as much use as a chocolate fireguard , hence the new Private Parking Bill

concentrate on winning legal arguments, not on some side issue that has no relevance and makes no difference to your case
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a layman I park and see the BPA logo so think I am parking in a BPA members car park and can have access to POPLA if any problems, it should not be up to a member of the public to know the difference. The BPA should stop letting them use the sign on IPC members car parks.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I checked the Newbies thread first and couldn't find a post relating to a company using a logo when they are no longer a member. I will check again now but was pretty sure I'd read everything.

Did you read this Q&A from the NEWBIES thread, and all the other threads about BPA members (who are allowed to be BPA corporate members whilst also being in the IPC AOS):
    Q - ''My PCN is from UKCPM, or UKCPS, or Millennium (etc.) and it/the signs say they are both BPA & IPC members?''

A - NO, THEY ARE NOT, AND PLEASE NO MORE THREADS ASKING THIS!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5784929
    Different if you are saying the firm are using the BPA roundel when they are not AOS BPA members.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Grimble wrote: »
    As a layman I park and see the BPA logo so think I am parking in a BPA members car park and can have access to POPLA if any problems, it should not be up to a member of the public to know the difference. The BPA should stop letting them use the sign on IPC members car parks.
    Perhaps you need to make that point to Sir Greg Knight MP for consideration when the new Code of Practice is being compiled.

Meanwhile, we are in a situation where the possibility for confusion exists and we need to cope with it.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,142 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 March 2018 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Grimble wrote: »

The British Parking Association Limited, to give it its official title couldn't give two monkeys what you think, they are there, to protect and represent their paid up members, and keep the money rolling into their coffers!

Which ever grade of membership a PPC has they are entitled to use that designated logo,if you think it is wrong try complaining to them and see how far you get.

Though at the moment a complaint to you MP would be more productive.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Stick around, and keep this thread going. You might need us to help you win a court case.
    Currently writing a response to a Letter Before Claim for a PCN.
    (And preparing a defence for Court Claim just in case).
    Why not show us your draft reply to the LBCCC and change the thread title while you still can?

Advanced edit (not possible if you are on a phone) and change the thread title to something like:

Help with LBCCC response - name of PPC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport