Employer asking me to work Weekend + Mon-Fri

Options
12345679»

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I work alongside then for crying out loud. Everyday all day!!!

A hospital porter works alongside a doctor. A hospital porter does not work in a professional world. A doctor does. Now I really am done.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 11:56AM
    Options
    A hospital porter works alongside a doctor. A hospital porter does not work in a professional world. A doctor does. Now I really am done.

The analogy does not work in my case and you still missed the point.......AGAIN!

Hopefully that is your final...final rant!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    DanSpooner wrote: »
    We're quite a small office so I've been asked to do the whole event and others will come and join on certain days (so I'm the unlucky one!). The reason I'm being picked for this is because I'm the most suitable for the job.

We were told specifically not to book these day's off back in January so to be fair they have given me time... It's just a long time with no rest days or benefits of going which is annoying!

Sounds like the wording you need to use - ie in an email back to them is:

"Can I clarify re:
    a. Expenses payable for meals out, etc.
    b. The arrangements for "time off in lieu". I assume these two days will count as extra on top of annual leave and we will be mutually arranging when it's convenient for me to have those two days off."

It's been made quite plain to them that you know you are due for those expenses and to have two alternative days off. The onus would be on them if they are going to try and wriggle out of these (very normal) provisions.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I knew what the world meant, you were confused. In implying there were none in the oil industry. Ohhh and many are salaried but still get paid overtime!!

Oh, for gawds sake. I worked in the electricity board IT department with some very well paid people and overtime/time off in lieu. I've done teaching where I was paid per contact hour - I don't bother any more because of the reward/effort ratio. A younger, well-paid relative works in finance, occasionally working all hours without overtime.

You don't seem to grasp that different situations/sectors/industries have different conditions, and that it is not possible for us as commenters to really give advice without knowing all the details, including pay level.

My personal inclination from what we know is to go and do a good job, use the opportunity to develop but keep a wary eye on how management expectations change. A bit like doing a summer school, it looks like the job will be tiring but the interest and busyness keeps you going, and I really don't think burn out will be an issue.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 3:23PM
    Options
    Oh, for gawds sake. I worked in the electricity board IT department with some very well paid people and overtime/time off in lieu. I've done teaching where I was paid per contact hour - I don't bother any more because of the reward/effort ratio. A younger, well-paid relative works in finance, occasionally working all hours without overtime.

You don't seem to grasp that different situations/sectors/industries have different conditions, and that it is not possible for us as commenters to really give advice without knowing all the details, including pay level.

My personal inclination from what we know is to go and do a good job, use the opportunity to develop but keep a wary eye on how management expectations change. A bit like doing a summer school, it looks like the job will be tiring but the interest and busyness keeps you going, and I really don't think burn out will be an issue.

gawd's sake.......if only you spent time reading all my posts/advise you would have a fuller picture, but then that would take some effort! One of my points with examples was that there were no certain rules and conditions!! You are stating the obvious.

If you need more info before you offer advice, then wait but stop telling others how they have to behave and reply on a open forum. Hopefully, you can grasp that!
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I!!!8217;d love to know the outcome of the original thread. Hopefully the op will come back & let us know the outcome
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;d love to know the outcome of the original thread. Hopefully the op will come back & let us know the outcome

I'm not sure the OP would want to read through all the 'discussion' here.

The contract clause is a fairly standard one. I'd suggest the next step is to look at travel & expenses policy to see what it says. It'll probably say something about laundry (everywhere I've worked laundry can only be billed if you are away 5 or 6 consecutive nights - unsurprising given the cost of hotel laundry), and also about what can be claimed for meals & travel. At events, meals are often provided so only those not provided can be claimed separately and there is likely to be a limit on how much they cost. If you're worried about laundry I'd suggest buying another couple of work shirts and/or doing some laundry mid-week the week before and the week after. If you're going to have to do more of these events you might find it helps to have a few extra shirts just in case.

There may also be information about TOIL for working/travel days outside normal working hours - some organisations say it should be taken as soon as possible (in agreement with your manager), others allow you to add it to your holiday (I have colleagues who build up their TOIL days to help them cover childcare needs in the school holidays). If not in T&E policy it may be in your leave policy or there might be guidance within your leave booking system if you have one.

If anything isn't clear, a quick chat with your manager to clarify how this works because it's the first time you've been asked to do it would be sensible, but make sure that it's just a 'how does this work' rather than sounding resentful or aggrieved. Your contract makes clear that this could happen, and you signed up to those terms when you took the job - the negotiation phase was an opportunity to get clarification on how many weekends/evenings etc you were likely to be asked to work and to get more detail around the implications of this clause.
  • DanSpooner
    DanSpooner Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Guys, thanks a lot for all of the information.

To give you some more information for my end:

My Salary isn't anywhere near 100k a year as some people have placed as an example. My salary is around the 30k mark plus commission.

I do definitely agree with the networking aspects and that's one of the silver linings of this weekend of work. Commission wise, I'll probably be missing out on more by being out of the office on the Monday/Tuesday. I'm also not expecting the weekend to be a big one for sales (its more lead generation for the company in general).

I work for a small company that really does everything by the minimum in terms of holiday, lunch breaks (I get 30mins a day in an office) and just what is expected in general. I had to go to the dentist the other day, which my employer said was fine but I can make up for. Got the earliest appointment available and was in the office at 9.45am. Yesterday he's asking if I've made up the time already (when I'm working all of next weekend for him?).

If I worked for a company that absolutely gave its all for me and consistently looked out for me then I would morally be fine with the weekend working. But it is unfortunately one of those take, take, take workplaces which is why I wanted to know my rights in regards to working that weekend. That's not to say I don't enjoy my job, but the boss really does milk his employee's for what he can get and doesn't give a huge amount back (which hopefully explains why I asked this question in the first place). When you get treated well then you want to give back, but its a company thats moral standards aren't huge which is why I wanted to see where I stood.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    DanSpooner wrote: »
    Hi Guys, thanks a lot for all of the information.

To give you some more information for my end:

My Salary isn't anywhere near 100k a year as some people have placed as an example. My salary is around the 30k mark plus commission.

I do definitely agree with the networking aspects and that's one of the silver linings of this weekend of work. Commission wise, I'll probably be missing out on more by being out of the office on the Monday/Tuesday. I'm also not expecting the weekend to be a big one for sales (its more lead generation for the company in general).

I work for a small company that really does everything by the minimum in terms of holiday, lunch breaks (I get 30mins a day in an office) and just what is expected in general. I had to go to the dentist the other day, which my employer said was fine but I can make up for. Got the earliest appointment available and was in the office at 9.45am. Yesterday he's asking if I've made up the time already (when I'm working all of next weekend for him?).

If I worked for a company that absolutely gave its all for me and consistently looked out for me then I would morally be fine with the weekend working. But it is unfortunately one of those take, take, take workplaces which is why I wanted to know my rights in regards to working that weekend. That's not to say I don't enjoy my job, but the boss really does milk his employee's for what he can get and doesn't give a huge amount back (which hopefully explains why I asked this question in the first place). When you get treated well then you want to give back, but its a company thats moral standards aren't huge which is why I wanted to see where I stood.

when asked about making up time yet

what you say is "NO I will be making it up at the weekend and that time will cover any appointments for the rest of the year - won't it?"

if you are down on commission earning time you should negotiate a cut off any leads or make sure those leads fall onto your lap when they are progressed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure