Claimng deferred state pension online

Options

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    The fact that they told you that they refer back to the pension that would have been payable when you originally deferred rather than simply take the current pension as of the date you requested the information makes no sense to me at all.

Made no sense to me either, especially as they also told me my up to date pension amount.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reviving this thread because it looks like you can now claim a deferred SP via the Gov.uk DWP site ....or ,at least in theory you can!
    Set up an identity Verify account some time ago with the Post Office which worked to start me off as I didn't have the all important code.
    HOWEVER, when I input my NI number on the pension claim page, it threw me out.....and yes, you've guessed it,told me to phone because some details didn't match!! :eek:

I'll be interested if anyone can claim a deferred pension using this new method. Back to the phone queues on Monday for me!
  • brewerdave
    Options
    Updating again .....finally got thru on the phone after 40 minutes on hold! :jWas cutoff randomly on two earlier occasions ,so overall, I was trying for well over an hour yesterday morning.
    The girl I spoke to, was generally very efficient...once she got the DWP systems to go:rotfl: - I asked her to pass on my earlier experiences of being cut off by their phone system which she promised to do.... she THOUGHT it might be connected with the fact that the system had been down from earlier in the morning causing the queues to grow - doubt if it'll make any difference.
    I've also raised my difficulty with the "new" online claims process via the Gov. UK feedback - Nothing yet in reply.
    At least I now know approximately how much my deferred State Pension will be when it comes into payment.:)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »

At least I now know approximately how much my deferred State Pension will be when it comes into payment.:)

Was it as much as you expected? They used to be known for quoting - your original state pension quote say £150 (say 2 years ago) - new quote £150 + 2 x 10.4%. That is not including the annual increases, so only £181 instead of something more like £190. I almost had a panic attack when they told me how much my 5 year deferral came too or more to the point didn't come to.

With the right info (google is your friend here) you can calculate it for yourself to within 20p a year.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Was it as much as you expected?

With the right info (google is your friend here) you can calculate it for yourself to within 20p a year.

Haven't checked it yet - will have to dig out the last figures I had and inflate the basic SP, grad. pension and SSP - then uprate the relevant bits by 10.4% pa:)

Actually quoted a basic figure -and then an estimate for the options of lump sum or extra pension.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife has had her deferred options letter today and to my complete amazement and reassurance the spreadsheet calculation I had done for her was exactly the same as their!!!8217;s with only a rounding difference of 2p. She deferred for 5 years.

I am waiting for my one to drop on the mat ... but as a bloke who is 36 hours older than the wife I retire on the same day but with only 2.5 years deferral.
  • MikeM
    MikeM Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update on my little saga. I too tried to register for the new online Gov ID using Post Office. It failed for a reason they couldn't tell me due to security !!

I eventually called and after long wait spoke to helpful agent who said it "could be sorted right away" - which she did. Lo and behold my first pension payment arrived in my bank. No sign of lump sum though which I was told would arrive about 14 days after my pension. I waited a couple of weeks and phoned again and was told curtly that they couldn't do anything until I had responded to my 'choices' letter which I had never received ! Requested a resend which arrived next day. Completed form and am STILL waiting for arrival of lump sum !!!
  • brewerdave
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Was it as much as you expected? They used to be known for quoting - your original state pension quote say £150 (say 2 years ago) - new quote £150 + 2 x 10.4%. That is not including the annual increases, so only £181 instead of something more like £190. I almost had a panic attack when they told me how much my 5 year deferral came too or more to the point didn't come to.

Looks like they have done the same with me - the verbal quote for extra pension due to the deferral only makes sense if I use the SP I would have got in 2015!! As per another SP thread,I'm waiting for the Choices letter to see whether the written figure is a match for my calculations.:)
  • brewerdave
    Options
    MikeM wrote: »

I eventually called and after long wait spoke to helpful agent who said it "could be sorted right away" - which she did. Lo and behold my first pension payment arrived in my bank. No sign of lump sum though which I was told would arrive about 14 days after my pension. I waited a couple of weeks and phoned again and was told curtly that they couldn't do anything until I had responded to my 'choices' letter which I had never received ! Requested a resend which arrived next day. Completed form and am STILL waiting for arrival of lump sum !!!

Did the agent give you a verbal quote of the deferred options - and did they agree with your Choices letter ??
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,417 Forumite
    Options
    There was a long thread on this a couple of years back.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5479517&page=4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport