Claimng deferred state pension online

Options
Tried to log in to my Govt. Gateway account this morning,to start the process of claiming my deferred state pension. Unless I'm doing something wrong ,they appear to have removed the option of applying for a code to start the process,offering only the phoneline or post. Seems a backward step to me if I'm right??:(

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can't apply for a code. You need the code which was on the letter you (should have) received from the DWP: https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/how-to-claim-a-deferred-state-pension
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2018 at 10:55PM
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/get-state-pension

If you haven't got your letter and invite code, you can't claim online. You can claim by phone or by post instead.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/get-state-pension

If you haven't got your letter and invite code, you can't claim online. You can claim by phone or by post instead.

The original invitation letter from nearly 4 years ago, didn't have a code on -HOWEVER, I'm sure that when I've looked online previously, there was an option to apply for a code via the Gateway - THAT is the option which I think, has gone. The page you quote is the one which I was looking at. Apparently the State pension claim part of the website was updated at the end of Feb.:(
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    The original invitation letter from nearly 4 years ago, didn't have a code on -HOWEVER, I'm sure that when I've looked online previously, there was an option to apply for a code via the Gateway - THAT is the option which I think, has gone. The page you quote is the one which I was looking at. Apparently the State pension claim part of the website was updated at the end of Feb.:(

You can still claim by post or phone. Not sure why it's such a big deal.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    You can still claim by post or phone. Not sure why it's such a big deal.

Not a big deal in itself -just that if I'm right it seems that DWP have taken a backward step at a time when we are being actively encouraged to use the web as much as possible:)
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When you apply by phone you can choose how you want to be paid, weekly....2 weekly or 4 weekly.
    You do need to ask as they will 4 weekly by default.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Tried to log in to my Govt. Gateway account this morning,to start the process of claiming my deferred state pension. Unless I'm doing something wrong ,they appear to have removed the option of applying for a code to start the process,offering only the phoneline or post. Seems a backward step to me if I'm right??:(

FWIW I claimed online for my wife and I in January via Government Gateway for our deferred Pension. The process was that the Pensions Service was in January accessed via Gateway without the need for any number in any letter, and when you went into pensions it sent you an activation code via your registered telephone number for each access. Today access to the Pensions Service is no longer there.

I called the Helpline and was told that our online application is in process and that we should hear from them in two weeks which will two weeks out from our pension start date at 6th April.

It does seem a shame that the service via Gateway has gone and that you cannot see the current status online as that would reassure and stop a lot of telephone traffic.

I know this doesn't help you .....
  • brewerdave
    Options
    ....and what makes it worse uk1 ,is that the phone line is so busy that you aren't even placed in a queue -they advise you to use the website:rotfl:
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I started phoning at 8.00 am this morning to claim my deferred state pension and had to give up. According to the phone line, there is only a limited service today. I’ll try again another day but it’s very frustrating.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got the message yesterday and gave up but wanted to try again today. I love Vivaldi but no great fan of The Four Seasons and only hearing the first 22 seconds of Spring repeated continually for half an hour was grim. It is weird that even after being reassured that everything is under control you still feel doubtful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure