Getting money back I lent ex boyfriend

Options

Comments

• Puffinmonkey
    Options
    Hi, the idea about a loan, if you do go down them lines could work out badly for you if he gets a loan.

He may not give you the money, spend it and the small amount of money he gives you now may stop as it goes to paying the loan back

Very true. I was just clutching at straws really. I've decided to just stop stressing about it, get on with my life and whatever he gives me is a bonus. Thanks for your reply.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It really truly is the best way otherwise it'll just eat you up inside, make your life miserable and cost you even more money trying to get it back. Think of it as one of those lessons life teaches you, never to be repeated.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you'd have most success by trying to do the small things. If it's good between you then ask him to up it to £100. State you don't want it hanging over you both, could do with money for kids etc.

With a standing order set up then hopefully they just see it as a standard outgoing and repaid in 6 years (or less depending on what's been paid already).
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep you are all right. Feeling like a fool but i'll get over it. Makes me want to teach my kids to be better with money than I am and not to be so trusting. Expensive lesson learnt. Thanks again xx

You're only a fool if you don't learn from it. If you have learnt, and the kids learn too, it's money well spent.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If he had to borrow off you then by implication his credit rating must be dire so getting a loan to pay you off will be a non starter.
    Accept the £60 per month but try to accept that after a while he will probably stop paying - move on if you can.
  • Puffinmonkey
    Options
    Thanks all. I actually got £75 today, Happy days :). I feel sure the payments will fizzle out eventually but until then I'll just take what comes.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all. I actually got £75 today, Happy days :). I feel sure the payments will fizzle out eventually but until then I'll just take what comes.

Thats a right result!!! Hope and pray payments continue!!
  • agatham
    agatham Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    From what you describe, I feel that your Ex is someone who will definitely pay you. He won't cheat on paying you off. What you could do is suggest him to get loan from sites like Zopa.

or suggest him to sell any products on Amazon to make some more money to give you. There are tons of suppliers of products on Alibaba website. You can suggest him to create an account on Amazon or eBay and sell few products through these suppliers. I am sure he will make some more passive money from which he can give you back.

Zopa as I said before would be one of the best options for him to get money.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 1:15PM
    Options
    agatham wrote: »
    From what you describe, I feel that your Ex is someone who will definitely pay you. He won't cheat on paying you off. What you could do is suggest him to get loan from sites like Zopa.

or suggest him to sell any products on Amazon to make some more money to give you. There are tons of suppliers of products on Alibaba website. You can suggest him to create an account on Amazon or eBay and sell few products through these suppliers. I am sure he will make some more passive money from which he can give you back.

Passive money, whats that ? Ok have now googled it and have an explanation. You earn an income without being actively involved.

If the ex was definitely going to repay the OP back then would he not be paying more than the £60 he currently is.
  • Puffinmonkey
    Options
    agatham wrote: »

Hi. I have thought about buying through Alibaba and selling on ebay and amazon myself but how do you know what will sell. Also how do you know the suppliers on Alibaba are reliable?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure