Why aren't BMWs limited to Winter tyres and 75 BHP

Options
facade
facade Posts: 7,036 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Then the roads wouldn't be gridlocked by arctics trying to go round a BMW stuck on a virtually flat road in 0.5cm of snow.

The combination of 500BHP, a lead right foot and ultra low profile summer tyres does not make for good progress :D
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    My car can’t even reverse off the drive it’s that embarrassing. Is yours an AMG too?

I remember my MK4 fiesta. Tiny front wheels, it was the best in the snow wish I could have that car now.

Our daughters school closed today, in the 80’s our school only ever closed if the snow drifts were that high the caretaker couldn’t actually open the front door.
  • docmatt
    Options
    Ignore the AMG question, just realised bmw in the title :o
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The manual tells you to switch off DSC for slow speed driving on snow. DSC defaults to on every time you start the engine,
    I guess most people ( not just BMW drivers) don!!!8217;t read the manual fully.
  • docmatt
    Options
    The manual tells you to switch off DSC for slow speed driving on snow. DSC defaults to on every time you start the engine,
    I guess most people ( not just BMW drivers) don!!!8217;t read the manual fully.

My works diesel bmw dsc still kicks in even after turning it off. The dsc off button is illuminated but it kicks in and the light flashes when it skids. Weird.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    My works diesel bmw dsc still kicks in even after turning it off. The dsc off button is illuminated but it kicks in and the light flashes when it skids. Weird.

My car does the same. It doesn't turn off, it just attenuates it.
  • Typhoon2000
    Options
    Depending on your car there are different DSC modes, you can usually switch them all off by holding the button down for a number of seconds.
  • Typhoon2000
    Options
    Found some information for BMW drivers struggling in the snow...
    http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/16/winter-driving-settings-bmw-editorial/
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought it was always a BMW (there was another one stuck outside my house about 10 minutes ago), but I've just watched the news about the way the entire country is devastated by a bit of cold weather, and there was a non-story about how a motorist (didn't look like a BMW) who couldn't drive managed to end up on the wrong side of the road (rather comical to watch too) and an oncoming bus driver who could drive simply drove round it and carried on.
    Looked impressive on the fisheye dashcam footage, but I suspect it wasn't particularly hair raising as the 'bus never even faltered and when they found the driver she had forgotten all about it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why aren't BMWs limited to Winter tyres and 75 BHP?

Probably because no one would buy them.
  • docmatt
    Options
    Why aren't BMWs limited to Winter tyres and 75 BHP?

Probably because no one would buy them.

Deastons would ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family