MSE News: Sky Q and Now TV customers will soon...

Options
Sky has announced its Sky Q and Now TV customers will be able to include Netflix as part of their subscription in the next 12 months...
Read the full story:
'Sky Q and Now TV customers will soon be able to watch Netflix'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What does this mean for Sky+ customers?
    If you've got Sky+ you won't be able to access Netflix from your Sky+ box. To take advantage of the new entertainment package including Netflix, you'd have to upgrade to Sky Q which can be pricey.

Lol, anyone surprised...
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lol, anyone surprised...

Not really.

Sky HD is rapidly becoming old technology which will soon be obsolete and I doubt it’ll be too long before Sky decide to drop it from their portfolio.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    'Sky will make Netflix available through its latest box' does that mean through a completely new Sky Q box, or is Sky Q the latest box they are talking about?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    Sky HD is rapidly becoming old technology which will soon be obsolete and I doubt it’ll be too long before Sky decide to drop it from their portfolio.
    Well, new Sky+HD decoders are already no longer available from Sky.
    sportsarb wrote: »
    ' does that mean through a completely new Sky Q box?
    No new Sky Q decoder is currently on the horizon. Adding Netflix is simply a business deal between the two companies. It doesn't require any different technology.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    Not really.

...but there are still a significant number of Sky customers using SD boxes (SOME without recording facilities).......and they haven't dropped them, albeit you can't purchase the packages!:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...but there are still a significant number of Sky customers using SD boxes (SOME without recording facilities).......and they haven't dropped them, albeit you can't purchase the packages!:)
    Sky managed very effectively and quickly to wean all their customers from analogue to digital a good few years back. I'm certain they have similar plans with SkyQ.
  • Satexpert
    Satexpert Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Very true, lots of old buddies who are use to the old GUI, and there's expats with illegal subs overseas who use the old Pace boxes as they had good tuner sensitivity with weaker signals and are coupled with 2 metre dishes to get reliable signal retention throughout the day.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sky managed very effectively and quickly to wean all their customers from analogue to digital a good few years back. I'm certain they have similar plans with SkyQ.

But I don't believe there was a significant price differential on changing from analog to digital (before my time with Sky!!!) whereas Q carries quite a price premium currently over HD+:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    But I don't believe there was a significant price differential on changing from analog to digital (before my time with Sky!!!) whereas Q carries quite a price premium currently over HD+:)

Not true if (and it could be a big if) you can get a free box off them, you don't need to pay the extra £12 a month if you don't want multi-room (or 4K).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not true if you can get a free box off them, you don't need to pay the extra £12 a month if you don't want multi-room (or 4K).
    As I said, I'm certain there will be a similar exit strategy planned for Sky+HD as there was for Sky's analogue service.
    Sky Digital launched at a premium price (just like SkyQ) and then was made mainstream shortly after with an accompanying price reduction.

Going back still further, the original Sky+ was priced for early adopters at £300 (plus £10 a month subscription) in 2001!
    It too was adopted as the norm a few years later.

For me, the problem with SkyQ is that it doesn't appear to be the finished article yet and it may have been rushed into use without proper field testing. It's also not quite the game changer which both Sky+ and Sky Digital undoubtedly were.

It's still coming to everyone, though. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure