MSE News: Maplin goes into administration

edited 9 March 2018 at 3:57PM in Consumer Rights
22 replies 4K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
195 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
edited 9 March 2018 at 3:57PM in Consumer Rights
Electricals retailer Maplin has gone into administration - here's what we know so far on how gift cards, online orders and your return rights are affected...

Read the full story:
'Maplin goes into administration'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Sad to see this. Used to shop at thier first shop in Westcliff on Sea.

Trouble is they went from a company selling goods to enthusiasts to go the Tandy route and sell goods at highly inflated prices.

So I'm not surprised they have gone bust.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • twhitehousescattwhitehousescat Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    hated in my home town , moved in , town centre , undercut 3 smaller independents , closed them down , then moved to out of town shopping complex with little stock
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought they were expensive whenever I've been in our local store.
  • seatbeltnoobseatbeltnoob Forumite
    979 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    i was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. the stuff they sell targets 18-35 year old males who tend to shop online. it wasnt going to last.
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a money-saving site, there won't be many Maplin customers on here. It's sad for the staff though/
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    waamo wrote: »
    I always thought they were expensive whenever I've been in our local store.

I do agree on the price point.

Was after a pci card for my pc to give me extra usb sockets.

Went into Maplins and they wanted £22 for a unbranded product.

Walked out and went to a local wholesale computer company and got a better card complete with an extra usb socket. Cost £9.

When they started they were a good electrical component company with staff with electronic knowledge that could help you figure what was wrong with your project. A couple of times they have stopped me throwing stuff at a wall in frustration.

Now the staff's only electronic experience is how to work the till.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago, I used to be a regular mail-order customer of theirs. They were the biggest company around that was retail-customer friendly, rather than being a business supplier. But now there are so many alternatives around, I haven't bought anything from them for a few years.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • DeastonsDeastons Forumite
    464 Posts
    ✭✭
    robin58 wrote: »
    Went into Maplins and they wanted £22 for a unbranded product.

Walked out and went to a local wholesale computer company and got a better card complete with an extra usb socket. Cost £9.

Now the staff's only electronic experience is how to work the till.

But how do you expect shops to afford to train their staff to a high standard if you won't pay for the service?

They've just gone bust, so £22 clearly wasn't ripping you off. Maplins were offering you the product from a store based on the high street with staff that would have had a certain level of knowledge. That costs.

People seem to only be interested in getting things as cheaply as possible and then complain that staff are rude and incompetent, queues are too long etc etc.
  • AstroTurtleAstroTurtle Forumite
    290 Posts
    ✭✭
    Deastons wrote: »
    But how do you expect shops to afford to train their staff to a high standard if you won't pay for the service?

They've just gone bust, so £22 clearly wasn't ripping you off. Maplins were offering you the product from a store based on the high street with staff that would have had a certain level of knowledge. That costs.

People seem to only be interested in getting things as cheaply as possible and then complain that staff are rude and incompetent, queues are too long etc etc.

Wrong.

Inflating prices by over 200% to justify "training" staff is a ridiculous idea... and here is why

Maplins even sell Pre-owned stuff in their "Clearance" section that costs more than buying brand new. (Where's the staff training cost in charging more online as well)

They aren't the only electrical store in the same way that Smyth's and The Entertainer are still successful toy stores but toy's r us isn't..
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong.

Inflating prices by over 200% to justify "training" staff is a ridiculous idea... and here is why

Maplins even sell Pre-owned stuff in their "Clearance" section that costs more than buying brand new. (Where's the staff training cost in charging more online as well)

They aren't the only electrical store in the same way that Smyth's and The Entertainer are still successful toy stores but toy's r us isn't..

Not only that but the poster commented at the end Maplin staff were poorly trained.

They've gone bust because people won't pay their prices it's as simple as that.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides