Make sure to read all emails from sky

Been with sky for over 20 years - tried to cancel today and they said contract runs until Nov 2018 - how come? I ask.
Was told that they sent me an email last May offering me £7.50 discount on sports package - I can't say I remember getting it but can't prove that apparently he just says well we sent it to the correct address! - in the small print of this email it said if I didn't reply saying I didn't want the discount then i agreed to this discount and my contract would be renewed for a further 18 months!!! So now I am locked in until November.
He then went on to try to sell me the new sky Q at a "discount" price!
was canceling to see what offers they came up with but definitely canceling for good now!

Comments

• jaygee999 wrote: »

Was told that they sent me an email last May offering me £7.50 discount on sports package - I can't say I remember getting it but can't prove that apparently he just says well we sent it to the correct address! - in the small print of this email it said if I didn't reply saying I didn't want the discount then i agreed to this discount and my contract would be renewed for a further 18 months!!!
    That doesn't sound correct...or legal. Did you receive the discount? Your current and previous bills will reflect that.
  • Yes I did receive the discount - it was about the time I cancelled a box sets package so I wrongly assumed the reduction in price was that! My fault for not downloading the bill and then I would have seen the itemised items - online bills only show a total.
    It seems wrong that they can say if they don't hear from me it means I accept their offer when it should be if I want their offer I will contact them. I Can't prove that I didn't receive their email
  • jaygee999 wrote: »
    It seems wrong that they can say if they don't hear from me it means I accept their offer
    I agree.

If it wasn't so long ago (and you hadn't actually already had the discount) I would recommend you make a formal complaint.

Little point now, though I still question the legality of saying no response indicates acceptance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How did you cancel Boxsets? Was it via 'My Account' or did you speak to somebody?

As said above re. the 18 month contract I'd be surprised if that's even legal.
  • jaygee999
    jaygee999 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 1 March 2018 at 8:57AM
    I think I had it for 6 months when I took it out so just canceled it. The person at sky told me they now only offer 18 month contracts as their customers didn't feel valued when only offered 12 month contracts - B******t !! I said well why don't you give them the choice of 12 or 18 month contracts - his reply "that's not within my pay remit to answer" :rotfl: Debating whether to go to oftcom?

Just had a similar thing with BT - took out new 12 mth phone/broadband contract including Sports @ £2.50 - they actioned it but charged me £7.50 for Sports. I didn't notice until 2nd bill so contacted them and after a lot of hassle they agreed to change it but what they actually did was, unbeknown to me, start a new 18mth contract for Sports at a discount price so when I came to cancel my contract this year as Plusnet were cheaper they said I couldn't as it still had 8 months to run and worse than that as my discounted 12 month price for phone & broadband had ended I would be paying full price for those 8 months. After a lot of phoning & complaining they agreed to start a new 12 month contract and match Plusnet prices ( they own Plusnet now anyway?).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure