Need advice on sensitive (but urgent) issue

Options
Hello,

I am looking for some advice in regards to a particularly sensitive issue at my workplace.

Six weeks ago a new member of our team was employed. We work in quite an enclosed space as part of a manufacturing company.

The new guy is a very nice guy, no issues with him as a person at all. But unfortunately he has a very bad odour issue. By very bad, I mean we can smell him from 10-15 metres away, when he enters a room his odour lingers for a time, and after a day at work we all smell of him! I dont want to sound nasty at all but his smell makes me feel physically sick some days.

After the second day of him working at our company several of us approached our manager and discussed the issue. We were told that he would look into it but not to mention this to the person directly as there were 'Official methods to dealing with such a thing'.

Both our direct manager and General manager were aware of our issues, complains were made to them on a daily basis, and yet we were forced to work beside him for the weeks that followed.

Finally, last week, after four members of staff all complained (again) to our manager, he got him in the office to speak about the situation. Apparently he made him aware of the smell, and that there were complaints, in response the worker in question said it was his shoes, and that he would deal with the problem. It is not his shoes, it is his body odour - and also the fact that he wears the same clothes for a week without changing them or washing them.

He is oblivious to his own smell.

Our manager promised us that if he came into work today (Monday the 26th) smelling as he did last week, he would once again pull him to one side and have a word with him.

Today he came in smelling as bad if not worse. Our manager also commented this, that today he smells particularly bad, but he did not pull him into the office to speak to him.

This situation is causing distress and upset. And anger actually. Our manager is particularly weak and the general manager typically does not care for her staff.

The reason as to why they are not dealing with the problem is because at the moment are experiencing a high demand for products, and we are just about treading water, to recruit and train someone else will take time (though not much time as he is only trained on one product), and it is far more convenient for management (who do not have to work with him nor smell him), for things to stay as they are and not have to deal with dramas, or possibly recruiting another person.

Today at work we discussed refusing to work with him. Or simply refusing to come into work until the issue is resolved. None of us are part of any union.

I know this has been long, but could someone please advise?

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Not turning up for work is simply not an option you have.

I'd suggest you write a formal complaint and all sign it, just having it in writing makes people stand up a little more.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • lloydy84
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. It is not a path we want to go down but one member of staff already rang in sick today and I doubt we'll see her for the rest of the week.

Friday she was almost in tears feeling physically sick.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    lloydy84 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. It is not a path we want to go down but one member of staff already rang in sick today and I doubt we'll see her for the rest of the week.

Friday she was almost in tears feeling physically sick.
    Just to make it clear...if you don't turn up to work then you are liable to be disciplined.

Just don't do it.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    The classic approach is to leave some deodorant on his workstation or desk.
  • lloydy84
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:

This goes WAY beyond that.

Part of our department is within a 5 metre * 10 metre area.. Some people have to be inside this all day with him, I go there sometimes for stock, open the door and am met with a greeting of pure stink :(
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    lloydy84 wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl:

This goes WAY beyond that.

Part of our department is within a 5 metre * 10 metre area.. Some people have to be inside this all day with him, I go there sometimes for stock, open the door and am met with a greeting of pure stink :(

What about asking HR to have a word?
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Just tell him to his face........you stink get a wash.use deodorant and clean clothes.......never mind all the hurt his feelings and the wishy washy approach
    If that's to harsh leave a bag with soap and deorderant on his desk
  • lloydy84
    Options
    What about asking HR to have a word?

General manager acts as HR. She is refusing to deal with the situation.

We are considering writing an email to the Regional manager.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Of course, this offensive smell may be due to a medical issue. I would hope that if this is the case, people might find it rather easier to deal with. However, you have said that he does not change his clothes. Are you in a position to suggest to management that not wearing fresh clothes is actually a disciplinary matter (bringing the company into disrepute), and although you appreciate that there may be medical complications bla bla, you expect management support in the maintenance of a hygenic and safe workplace.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • lloydy84
    Options
    Of course, this offensive smell may be due to a medical issue. I would hope that if this is the case, people might find it rather easier to deal with. However, you have said that he does not change his clothes. Are you in a position to suggest to management that not wearing fresh clothes is actually a disciplinary matter (bringing the company into disrepute), and although you appreciate that there may be medical complications bla bla, you expect management support in the maintenance of a hygenic and safe workplace.

If it was a medical issue then the person involved would be aware of this at his age.

Our direct manager brought the issue up (after 5 weeks), delicately informing him of the issue. His response was that it was his shoes that smelt and he would change them.

He is clearly very unaware that he has an odour issue.

We have suggested many times to management. However, they do not have a track record of caring what their staff think, and if the person in question is hitting targets and getting products out of the door, they do not care about the effect he has on others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure