When to buy Bulgarian Lev

Options
Hello,
I have searched but have been having difficulty finding more recent information about buying Bulgarian Lev.

I am travelling for a week skiing in two weeks time so I am comfortably within timescales for ordering online.

Online rates seem to be around 2.12 Lev / £.

I've seen online some people say they've withdrawn from their current account etc at ATMs in Bulgaria. Can anyone say what rate they've received by that means recently?

I plan to withdraw in larger amounts to avoid running up fees. I've a reasonable idea of how much money I need.

I take it that ATMs are available in airport/are plentiful?

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Looks like the current MasterCard rate is 2.22,.

I expect ATM are plentiful but don’t know if they charge or not
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    There are no fees if you have the right plastic; https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

Always choose to withdraw in the local currency.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You tried tripadvisor ?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    There are no fees if you have the right plastic; https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

Always choose to withdraw in the local currency.

Is there any ATM fees in Bulgaria
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Is there any ATM fees in Bulgaria

Is there any ATM fee or are there any ATM fees... ;)

In general, no. But they'll need to watch out for those that utilise DCC. In addition the OP may have a card that charges.
  • Dnklar
    Options
    Thanks for your input people.

Most of the information I've found is quite dated but there are also sources saying you can exchange GBP to Lev at good prices in the hotels/banks - but no solid numbers. Im just a little wary of travelling with no local currency and if I only change a small amount online, the delivery charge really destroys the purpose of having money upfront!

What have others done in the recent past?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exchange rates have no 'solid numbers' because they are constantly changing.

Use a card to withdraw from ATMs as advised. Your regular bank card will give the ideal MasterCard or Visa rate but with a 2.5 - 3% mark up plus a fee for cash withdrawal. Avoid that by wasting no more time in applying for account(s) with Metro Bank / Starling Bank / Monzo Bank / loot.io prepaid / Revolut. Never accept offers by a card terminal to pay in pounds or by an ATM to convert your pounds, your card must do the conversion.

If you worry about the unlikely event of there being no working ATM in your arrival airport, just takes some cash pounds to exchange there if necessary, no need to pay more buying cash lev in UK.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In the 20 years or so that I've been travelling as an adult, my standard policy has been to show up without any local currency and use ATMs to get some, and to pay large transactions using a card if possible. I only vary that if there are some special requirements (e.g. travelling to Argentina when they had currency restrictions in place). In all that time this approach has never failed me.

I haven't been to Bulgaria but I have no reason to believe that there are any special requirements regarding currency for Bulgaria. It is an EU country, after all. So I would just turn up with my fee-free cards and find an ATM.

As eDicky says, take some GBP cash with you if you're worried about doing this.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I had no problems finding ATMs in Sofia and none charged. No DCC offered either IIRC.
  • Dnklar
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone.

I am going to take GBP there with the cards and exchange there. The cards are just in case backups.

Here's hoping I'll have a nice trip!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport