edited 23 February 2018 at 6:39AM in Old Style MoneySaving
30 replies 2.8K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 23 February 2018 at 6:39AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 23rd February 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, cold and frosty here.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, I'll wake him shortly as he'll come to help me with the food shop then walk to the gym from there.

Dinner last night was gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato, peas/veg, xmas pud and custard for those that wanted some. Tonight will be lasagna, chips/salad/jacket potato, I'll be making it this afternoon. I'm thinking I may do some other baking/cooking too as menfolk are moaning that the tins are empty, I haven't been baking/cooking treat type food as it wasn't always getting eaten and both boys have been really watching their food intake - both have lost a good bit of weight, and become much healthier. I'll just make 1 or 2 bits, not loads like I used to. There's a glut of apples and pears so I'll probably prep them to make a crumble, so at least they don't get thrown away.

Wasn't particularly productive yesterday as spent most of the day at mum's, but did get 3 x loads of washing done, and some dried, so today will need to tackle the ironing, and do some cooking and some housework although the hoover did get shoved over yesterday.

So on to today -
I'll be heading to the SM first thing, then home to get the shopping put away, do the ironing, housework and baking.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC for starting us off on this cold and frosty morning - brr it's currently - 3 deg. For the second night running I slept a solid 6 hours before I woke with the usual worrying thoughts running round my head.

No news on HOLLY still so I am guessing the hospital admission took place. What a debacle it was and I so hope some good comes out of it.

The usual boring Friday Tidy ahead for me then the DGDs are to collect from their respective schools and look after until DD's lovely bf comes to collect them. DD working till 9.30 and she's not happy at getting her shift changed! As they missed out on the compulsory after swimming Pasta Bolognese Bake last night they have requested it for tea tonight instead. Mince thawing in readiness!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried or lonely who want them. Especially thinking of HOLLY. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all.

I have been very unproductive this week as have felt so unwell but I slept better last night and have woken feeling like a person with a cold as opposed to someone with a debilitating lurgy, so that's a step forward. What I have been able to do is to keep relatively tidy so the full Friday Tidy is not needed though I will need to change bedlinen and get that washed and dried. And a quick Hoover round.

I am thinking about Hollyharvey and hoping that she is ok. If she has been admitted, she may be unable to use her phone or whatever device she uses to reach here. Holly, if you read this, you'll know that people are thinking of you.

It has become really cold here, I'm afraid that my fuel frugality went straight out of tge window this morning. I got up at 5 and the central heating was on within minutes usually I wait as long as possible. I have not been able to bring myself to look at the forecast today, predictions from the past few days are for a very cold weekend, brrrrr. Extra layers to the ready!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning Nmlc and all.

Well I'm stuffed. Double booked and can't see a way forward....Prodigal has an appointment with the GP on Monday and I said I'd go with him. I should have checked the day it fell on which is childcare day. Two problems with that. The appointment is 10 past 8. Diva is dropped off around 8.30 before Livewire goes to school. Problem 2. There's no way I'd leave Divas pushchair in the pushchair park. It's a very expensive pushchair and I'd be afraid it would be pinched. There's not enough room in the surgery to take the pushchair in even if we could work round the time issue. Taking Livewire to school first means she would probably be late for work.

Grump wants a few days away over Easter but again we are stuffed because The Blonde One has hardly any holiday over Easter and SIL only has the Monday off. I'd rather not go away anyway. There's always something that gets broken or ruined in the house when we go away.

Apparently we have a young lady staying the weekend which means bumps and bangs from Youngests bedroom all weekend.

No activity from Holly. Thinking of her.

Onwards and forwards

Have a good day all
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Judi could you beg or borrow a cheapie stroller for that morning?
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • redrubyredruby Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all

Nice bright day here but bitterly cold with a sharp wind, its meant to be a cold weekend too.

Ive been thinking of Holly and hoping she is ok if she has been admitted I hope some good comes out of it xx

Off to work today but its Friday :j so takeaway and wine tonight :D my favourite night of the week.

Will do a wash tonight and get it in the TD so that's one load out of the way, last weekend it seemed to be non stop washing so I want to try and avoid that if possible.

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Good morning chums, well I say good, but I feel as HM felt with her annus horrilibis a few years ago This year really is not going well at the moment.

I had a letter yesterday from my old neighbour and it seems her OH had sadly passed away so that's yet another berevement card to get and a third funeral to attend this year. I feel like I am becoming worried at answering the phone or getting a letter now.

He was a smashing chap who my OH and I had known for over 20 odd years and his wife and I were such good friends,we had even had several holidays together and our children had grown up together.Bloody cancer grrr, if the money spent on armaments were only diverted to research, maybe it would save lives instead of people losing them.

Then last night my eldest DD phoned to say her job, that she has been in for the past 16 years is going to vanish with reorganisation of the LEA system. so looks like she is facing redundancy.

Certainly never rains but it pours, my late OH would have said "I think I've run a robin over" an old saying of hs Mum's when she had a streak of bad news or luck.

Still I guess, looking at the news, there are worse things happening in the world as a whole at the moment.

Hopefully we may hear from H/Harvey today about yesterdays outcome I do hope its good news .

Well its dry but quite nippy this morning with the possibility of it getting even colder over the weekend .

I think we really need something to brighten us all up,any ideas chums as I am feeling decidedly a bit down at the moment, and I am not normally a gloomy sort of person.

I guess a bit of sunshine might help, and the mornings and evenings are drawing out at last so fingers crossed the big yellow stuff may not be too far away.

Right the kettle has boiled so its time for a cuppa, hope you all have a good day today

JackieO xxx
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all.

I hope that wherever Holly is that she’s safe and warm.

Still at DM’s. This morning I’m getting a fourth new tyre, another ‘ouch’ but no point have three news ones and one ancient one. It’d need changing in about 500 miles. That’s on normal well maintained roads, ours are the polar opposite.

DM is so much better than last week. Her UTI has gone and she’s looking well, I was very fearful about her earlier. We had a good laugh last wen discussing her lack of drinking enough fluids. Turns out she’s worried about getting up during the night to visit the loo as she’s wobbly on her feet when half asleep. She’s taken to using a bucket in the bedroom at night, standing up. :eek: I showed her the contraption which would make that easier- used by women in all sorts of situations such as when stuck in a traffic jam. Anyway, I’ve ordered one for her. :rotfl: We’ll see if it’s any good.

It’s going to be wet and cold outside today so it’s jumpers at the ready.

Happy Friday everyone.
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gers wrote: »
    Turns out she’s worried about getting up during the night to visit the loo as she’s wobbly on her feet when half asleep.

A commode might be a good idea Gers. Just in case.

Jackie how about a party? A good get together of family and friends. We always love it when we all get together and you know when you go to funerals and say that it's so long since you saw certain people? A party may seem a bit heartless at this time but plan it for the summer and call it a celebration of life maybe?

Good morning all. I have had two decent nights sleep on the trot so I'm up early out of choice today even though it's not a school day. The HT and I had a lovely day out in Liverpool on Wednesday. We had a mooch round the sci-fi bookshops and lunch in pizza hut as a treat. I also had to buy some school shirts for him from M&S as the ones I usually buy from Asda seem to have been modified to contain less material. Not what you're thinking....it's not him growing that's the problem....there's not enough material in the collar of his new ones for it to fold over his school tie. Strange but it makes them virtually useless.

It's frosty out this morning so it may be a day indoors. I have plenty of ironing to keep me busy and I can have a bit of a tidy up too. I may make some cakes if the HT can decide what he fancies.

Thinking of Holly here too. I can't figure out why if they thought she would self harm the powers that be told her that something she didn't agree to was going to happen then thought it was a good idea to leave her alone for 24 hours to mull it over. If she really had been as bad as they said, that action could have been the tipping point I would have thought. Very careless and uncaring on their part.

Take care all of you
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Judi could you beg or borrow a cheapie stroller for that morning?
    I dont know anyone with babies unfortunately but i'm going to have to work something out. Either that or let one of my 'kids' down.
  • ScarletRibbonsScarletRibbons Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning. Bitterly cold here, but fine and frosty.

I have been thinking about Holly - she must now be in hospital. We can only hope that she gets appropriate treatment. The whole business seemed a bit brutal, psychiatrist turning up on the doorstep, then the changing of the times when they were coming for her. It's positively cruel.

Yesterday was spent in a haze of steam and wet wallpaper. Took us all day, but we stripped the whole of DD's staircase and hall, then cleared up as well as we could.She was really pleased that we'd got so much done. We wanted to finish it though, because we couldn't go back today, as we are going to a funeral.

This will be the third funeral since the end of December. It's one of DH's inlaws, poor soul had been ill for a while.

Going to a friend's tonight for our usual chat, and that's it really.

Hugs to all, and thinking of the sad, worried and poorly.

Take care folks, if you're going out in this bitter weather.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides