Roaming Problems

Options
Terry98
Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
From what I can see all providers treat activating a mobile for roaming differently.

Only after two trips to Europe was I finally was able to use my phone.

The first time I found my Sim was locked for roaming and I could not get it unlocked until I got back home.

The second time although the Sim was unlocked the phone could not find a network automatically.
I then found out with Vodafone you have to pick a provider of your choice as this https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Using-our-network/Going-and-calling-abroad/Using-your-device-abroad/38949115/Do-I-need-to-activate-my-phone-to-use-it-abroad.htm

It seems very strange that Vodafone tell you to pick a provider of your choice. Surely they should automatically switch you to Vodaphone ES if you are in Spain rather than you having to choose say Movil who are their competitors.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Terry98 wrote: »
    It seems very strange that Vodafone tell you to pick a provider of your choice.
    As far as I can see, they don't. It would be very unusual for any network to require manual network selection, your phone automatically selects the best signal available.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2018 at 9:51AM
    Options
    Roaming always has to be provisioned, (ie your SIM receiving the instruction to allow roaming), whilst you're in the UK as many overseas networks will not carry provisioning messages. However, this only needs to be done once unless you ask the network to turn it off once back home.

It's in your own interest to investigate roaming costs before travelling as networks will have different deals with different networks. Overseas companies with the same brand will not necessarily be cheapest.

This is particularly important outside the EU where there are no price caps.

It is usual for your phone to lock to the strongest signal. This doesn't always work to your advantage and some handsets are more efficient at it than others.
  • Terry98
    edited 22 February 2018 at 1:44PM
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    As far as I can see, they don't. It would be very unusual for any network to require manual network selection, your phone automatically selects the best signal available.

That is my point they do.and they confirmed it in my Vodafone link above.......

' We!!!8217;ll automatically connect you to the best available network when you reach your destination. If this doesn!!!8217;t happen, go to your phone!!!8217;s settings and select Mobile Network Settings to search for and connect to a provider of your choice.'

It didn't happen to me so I was told to connect as above.I connected to Vodafone ES ....it took a while to register and then I got a text from my provider that roaming was set up and the prices I would pay if I went outside my contract usage.
  • pmduk
    Options
    It sounds more like a handset issue than the network. Is it an iphone? Some iphones have issues switching from one network to another whilst roaming, and again switching back to the home network once back in the UK.
  • Terry98
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    It sounds more like a handset issue than the network. Is it an iphone? Some iphones have issues switching from one network to another whilst roaming, and again switching back to the home network once back in the UK.

No it's a Moto G4. It worked fine once I connected and I was not charged any more than my contract. Luckily I was able to contact my provider by Webchat via Wifi to sort it out otherwise I would have been without a phone for a second time.

I just wonder what will happen next time I travel especially if it is not in Spain!
  • pmduk
    Options
    Hopefully, you now know what to do, manually select a network!
  • Terry98
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Hopefully, you now know what to do, manually select a network!

Yes and then hope it works.

I suppose my real concern was that the provider I choose might register my phone and then charge me but thinking about it no provider would give you roaming without setting up an account with them first.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Terry98 wrote: »
    That is my point they do.and they confirmed it in my Vodafone link above.......
    They suggest using manual network selection only if automatic selection does not happen. In 25+ years of regular mobile roaming using various home networks and handsets I have never found this to be necessary (unless I need to avoid or select particular networks).

When you first arrive in a non-home country it can take some time for your Phone/SIM to realise that only foreign networks are available, and select one. Ten minutes or more is not unusual. How long did you wait for automatic network selection?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If their roaming partner doesn't allow access to 4G, some phones assume this means that roaming isn't allowed on that network's 2G/3G signal too.

They may only have a roaming agreement with a single provider.
    Automatic network selection will eventually find it as it will try them all.
  • Terry98
    edited 23 February 2018 at 5:36PM
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    They suggest using manual network selection only if automatic selection does not happen.
    When you first arrive in a non-home country it can take some time for your Phone/SIM to realise that only foreign networks are available, and select one. Ten minutes or more is not unusual. How long did you wait for automatic network selection?

There is always one that it doesn't happen to and that is me!

Yes that is what happened to my OH (she is with another provider) so I knew what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure