MSE News: Flybe doubles unaccompanied child charge

Options
Flybe customers buying a ticket for a child travelling on their own will have to pay an extra £79 each way, after the airline doubled the cost of its 'unaccompanied minor' fee without any warning...
Read the full story:
'Flybe doubles unaccompanied child charge to £79'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wah wah wah I want a service that suits me, at an uneconomical price to the service provider, and if I don't get it, I'm going to scream and scream wah wah wah.

Didn't apply to anyone who had already bought their tickets before the change. Not unfair.

Justification seems very reasonable from Flybe. Not unfair.

Still actually offer the unaccompanied minor service, and probably still the cheapest doing so. Not unfair.

Happened seven weeks ago. Not news.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    Still actually offer the unaccompanied minor service, and probably still the cheapest doing so. Not unfair.

indeed...BA scrapped their UM service as part of cost cutting...guess the airline have the option to offer it at a price that covers their costs or scrap the service altogether
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £80 for someone to look after your kid for several hours seems pretty reasonable to me.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    £80 for someone to look after your kid for several hours seems pretty reasonable to me.

I couldn't agree more. I don't have kids myself, but when one looks at the unbelievable cost of child minding fees that some parents pay weekly to have someone look after kids for a few hours in the morning, then £80 isn't so outrageous for looking after someone elses kid flying alone. Perhaps a little less whinging from some people and a kick back into reality is needed. In the 1970's, my Mum used to shove me and my sister onto a National Express coach all by ourselves to our Dad's 70 miles away. I was 10 or 11 and my sister was about 8. No one batted an eyelid and we always got to the other end safely, but it's still a lot of responsibility to land on someone or indeed a Company.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd want a ticket price reduction of £80 to sit next to an unaccompanied child....
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    And to me too.

For those people who aren't happy with the cost of getting their children/grandchildren safely from one airport to another, they can always use an alternative airline - (as long as it isn't Easyjet, Jet2, BA, Ryanair or TUI :D
    • Easyjet, Jet2, British Airways, Ryanair and TUI – Don't allow unaccompanied children on their flights at all.
    • KLM – Charges £100 each way on most European flights, and £150 each way on most intercontinental flights - on top of a full price adult ticket. For certain routes, the charge can be as much as £300.
    • Virgin Atlantic and Emirates – Don't charge a separate fee for their unaccompanied minor service, but the child must have a full rate adult ticket rather than the cheaper child fare.
    Maybe a little research into their alternative options might make them reconsider that it's "extortionate", "unacceptable" and "unjustifiable".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure