PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Poor Soundproofing in New Flat - Help!

Options

Comments

• Barx
    Barx Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    As live-in management at the building, should they have made it their duty to register this issue with the relevant party so a first time buyer like myself could have been privy to the issue of poor sound insulation?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Barx wrote: »
    As live-in management at the building, should they have made it their duty to register this issue with the relevant party so a first time buyer like myself could have been privy to the issue of poor sound insulation?
    No.

If you want to buy a property in their block, you can ask them questions before you do so. They are happy for properties to be sold and nice tenants such as yourself move in and preserve the high prices obtained by people selling flats in the building. They won't want to unreasonably block people's transactions if someone wants to move on. As such they don't want to 'make it their duty' to ensure that someone who is a prospective occupier and might move in as a tenant or owner is voluntarily told all the reasons for which that person might not want to buy it or rent it.

Basically no, that's not their duty, so they don't want to make it their duty. If you ask them a direct question you would hope they would be truthful. If you are naive and don't think to ask because you have not had unpleasant neighbours before, that's not their fault. You are a 'first time buyer', but presumably not a 'first time live somewhere' er. Some people considering a purchase or even a tenancy would go round knocking on doors and asking all the other neigbours what the place is like, what are the other neighbours like, etc. When selling our last place, our buyers did that between offer and exchange. Personally, I didn't with my onwards purchase, but got lucky.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe (if by "relevant party" you mean the previous landlord of your flat). But you can't do anything about that now, it would have been between them and your vendor. If in fact your vendor had been aware, things may be different.
  • Barx
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    No.
    Some people considering a purchase or even a tenancy would go round knocking on doors and asking all the other neigbours what the place is like, what are the other neighbours like, etc. When selling our last place, our buyers did that between offer and exchange. Personally, I didn't with my onwards purchase, but got lucky.

As I could not access the building between offer and exchange, I was not able to knock on neighbour's doors. However, I did visit the property at various times of the day and spoke with residents outside who were living in the apartments, all of whom were full of praise for it (I'm sure some thought I was going to mug them which put me off doing it!).

Besides, the neighbour I am having issues with didn't move in until October so many would not have been privy to his behaviour.
  • Barx
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Maybe (if by "relevant party" you mean the previous landlord of your flat). But you can't do anything about that now, it would have been between them and your vendor. If in fact your vendor had been aware, things may be different.

I'll be asking my management if they had been made aware that the tenants at the time had complained to their landlord(s) about the issue of noise.

Not sure if I'll get a genuine answer, but worth a try!
  • sleepymans
    Options
    Do you think heavy carpet with Celestial Carpet 10.30mm underlay from Carpet Right will assist with my issue? The last thing I want to do is purchase these items if the effect is minimal.

Never, never, never buy anything from Carpetright!! be warned.....low quality carpet and underlay and even poorer subcontract fitters.....my opinion, of course.
    Id stick pins in my eyes rather than give them a single £1 of my hard earned money!!
    A decent reviewed local carpet business will do you a far better job for less £
    :A Goddess :A
  • Barx
    Options
    sleepymans wrote: »
    Never, never, never buy anything from Carpetright!! be warned.....low quality carpet and underlay and even poorer subcontract fitters.....my opinion, of course.
    Id stick pins in my eyes rather than give them a single £1 of my hard earned money!!
    A decent reviewed local carpet business will do you a far better job for less £

Thanks for your response. What carpet / underlay supplier would you recommend instead?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your response. What carpet / underlay supplier would you recommend instead?
    Carpet and underlay will benefit your neighbour but not you.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    jimbog wrote: »
    I would lift the floorboards and stuff fibreglass insulation between the joists throughout
    Have you done this? How much difference did it make?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I remember my mum came to house and she said can you hear nest door child crying, I couldn't but she could. My answer to any noise disturbance is no.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport