🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Externally Beaded Windows?

Options
Received some window quotes however, one of the best rated local Companies externally bead their windows. Is this a security risk?
They claim all their windows have special "Glass Locks" and have passed security tests but i wonder if an experienced glazier could get the window out without coming inside.:eek:
Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Never heard of this - when ours were replaced all firms emphasised internal beading. I'd put these questions to them and ask for details of the "glass lock."

Perhaps ask them for a contractual guarantee for damages in the event of an externally beaded window being the point of access for criminal damage/burglary. Usually companies wind their neck in on unsubstantiated sales claims when asked to stake their own money.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I mentioned to the fitters putting in our new windows that the old ones had external beading. They said it wouldn't have been a problem as an adhesive had been used on the inside, even with the beading out Mr Burglar wouldn't be able to remove the unit from the outside.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • elver_man
    elver_man Posts: 20,787 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2018 at 3:39PM
    Options
    I am assuming you are talking about uPVC windows.

Glass locks can be used where externally beaded windows have been installed. I would suspect that during the installation of the glazing unit double sided bonding tape will also be used to bond the glazing unit to the frame. Although this makes it harder to remove the unit it still is possible to someone who knows what they are doing plus it often causes additional damage to the frame where the burglar attempts to lever out the unit. Glass locks will also be used inside to provide some additional security. Some of the locks are quite visible but you will be told this deters intruders as they can see them from the outside obviously makes it a little more difficult to remove an externally beaded glazing unit.

Personally I believe its trying to provide a solution to something that has already been resolved by having internal beads.

Easy option is to go for internally beaded windows.
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet:D
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others;) - Martin Luther King jr
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Why would a burglar bother to take the time to remove the glass? Surely they chuck a brick through, and grab what they want.
  • Richard_Overton_2911
    Richard_Overton_2911 Posts: 201 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2018 at 7:16PM
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    Why would a burglar bother to take the time to remove the glass? Surely they chuck a brick through, and grab what they want.

Exactly, they can also use a spring loaded centre punch which on a toughend unit would make a really loud bang and this puts burglars off so the vast majority of them won't gain entry that way.

They don't tend to muck around taking external beads off as most units will be bed on security glazing tape, they will look for weak points in security such as open windows or try using a crow bar to prise open a shut window. Its surprising how brittle many window fasteners are and how easily they can be broken...............Burglars work on very tight schedules so want to be in and out within a few minutes and taking beads off takes far too long..
  • road2manchester
    Options
    But..... if they try and get the beads out and make a right mess of the beads ..... who repairs them.... GET INTERNAL BEADS.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm astonished anybody is actually making externally beaded windows anymore given how long internally beaded ones have been around.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Richard_Overton_2911
    Richard_Overton_2911 Posts: 201 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2018 at 10:42PM
    Options
    But..... if they try and get the beads out and make a right mess of the beads ..... who repairs them.... GET INTERNAL BEADS.

The same person who will replace a broken sealed unit if they chose to gain entry by breaking the glass. I can only speak for timber windows because I!!!8217;ve been making them for over 30yrs. Technology moves on and with modern security glazing tapes sealed units fitted form the outside are very difficult to get out without making a lot of noise and as I said previously 95% of burglars are opportunists and will gain entry by an open window or use a jemmy bar to force open a window.. If they choose to break he glass to get in it doesn!!!8217;t matter which side the beads are on does it...

In the case of Upvc beads many are available off the shelf.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our windows have been in for 15 years plus and have external beading,never been a problem,i asked the window fitter about burglars removing the glass and entering the house,he just laughed and said he could get into internal beaded windows faster,as i said so far so good.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That is interesting, the getting into Internally beaded windows faster is something i'm going to keep asking about.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family