Are Eon allowed to guess how much a bill is?

Options
2»

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jimbo2018 wrote: »
    So as a business I do not have rights to an accurate bill?
    I understand why they use estimates, but my point is the fact they cannot possibly give me an accurate bill.

As Hengus has said, they'll probably try and estimate what you've used taking into account seasonal variations.

I can't see why you are getting all fired up with righteous indignation when you were obviously too idle to sort the bills and tariffs out at the appropriate time. I'm guessing that if you run a business then this should have been one of your pririties.

Perhaps you'll put a in a bit more effort in future
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Jimbo2018
    Options
    Matelodave, I explained the entire situation to be honest and then asked a question, which you haven't bothered to answer although you have judged me personally by calling me idle. If you can't say anything useful, dont say anything at all.
  • Jimbo2018
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    The answer is simple. Read your meters and ask the supplier to revise your bill. When estimates are raised it is not simply dividing the annual consumption total by 12 times the number of months. All suppliers use algorithms to apportion energy used month by month. Bear in mind, if you overpay today, you will underpay when your next bill is raised - provided that actual meter readings have been used.
    This is exactly my point. It cannot just be divided because there were 2 tariffs through the period. Algorithms might tell us that it was warm for a week but do not tell them if no one was there for a period or that situations had changed.
    It won't even out either because of the tariff change.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is exactly my point. It cannot just be divided because there were 2 tariffs through the period. Algorithms might tell us that it was warm for a week but do not tell them if no one was there for a period or that situations had changed.
    It won't even out either because of the tariff change.

Exactly how much are we talking about here? It is often the case that posters on this site get worked up over the fact that they may have been on a SVT for month which has cost them £X. In truth the real Delta cost is not £X, it is £X - cost of of the £old tariff. It is often the case that when consumers change tariffs (or have a tariff change imposed upon them) that the meter reading on change is estimated. I appreciate that your situation is different from Mr Average Home Consumer but I am not exactly sure what it is that you want the supplier to do?
  • Jimbo2018
    Options
    Bill is £4000 for 14 months.
    All of it has been priced on an out of contract tarrif, even though
    11 months were in contract on a set tarrif at half the cost of the out of contract tarrif.
    3 months were out of contract of which I was away for 1.5 months and the only things running were a fridge and a few small items.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bill is £4000 for 14 months.
    All of it has been priced on an out of contract tarrif, even though
    11 months were in contract on a set tarrif at half the cost of the out of contract tarrif.
    3 months were out of contract of which I was away for 1.5 months and the only things running were a fridge and a few small items.

The energy has been used. I am not familiar with the detail of business contract terms and conditions but if it was a domestic supply, you would pay for x units on the fixed tariff and y units on the SVT. Unless a meter reading was provided, then the supplier would estimate the change of tariff meter reading. If it happened that the consumer was in hospital for a month, then I accept that the estimate may well be wrong but I cannot see any supplier taking that at face value. For a supplier to do what you are suggesting must be covered in the ts and cs.
  • Jimbo2018
    Options
    Thanks Hengus. This is where I imagined I would end up.
    There is no way to truly tell how much I really owe and I have to accept that I may be paying too much.
    My only protest can be changing providers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure