Cities most worth visiting in 'Eastern' Europe?

Options

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    Oddly i was recently in Prague and during a tour it was highlighted that Prague isnt in Eastern Europe, well not in their eyes anyway and it wasnt until i bothered to look at a map and realised that vienna and bari are more eastern than Prague.

Amazing ehhh?

Yes, you have to be careful in places like Prague and Warsaw about referring to them as "Eastern European" as they don't tend to like it.

For those of us who grew up in the Cold War days, it's easy to think of Europe as still being East and West. As you say, if you look at a map, Prague is just about the dead centre of the continent.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me and the cook stayed in a hostel in Prague a few years ago that used to be the old Secret Police HQ. Our room was a cell, albeit with no lock on it.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tallinn in Estonia - glorious Hanseatic league Old City, with great beaches and walks (formerly Russian officers R&R resort & some of that still visible in the rocket climbing frames in old playgrounds etc) and glorious pseudo-Viennese coffeehouses with sticky-pastry-treats and hot drinks...
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestion discat11, we've decided we definitely want to visit Krakow and can't miss out on Auschwitz while we're so close by!
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    camelot1001 you and you're friends have travelled to some great places, we'll take a look at all of those cities, thank you!
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    Wow, daveyjp that area looks lovely! That's definitely worth adding to our list, thank you for your suggestion!
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    phatbear that is interesting, it is further west than I thought it was! And thank you for your suggestions :)
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    Thank you eDicky, I didn't know that! We will definitely take a look at Kalmykia!
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    Thank you PompeyPete, your itinerary looks great!

Enjoy your trip!
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    Thank you prenton01, we are open to visiting anywhere in Europe really so we may actually start in Germany, thank you for your suggestion!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure