PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants should have 'default right' to pets.......

Options

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    During my short-lived unfortunate experience as a BTL landlord, I had no problems with pets. However:

Tenant 1 ignored the leak down the side of the shower until the kitchen ceiling fell through.

Tenant 2 kept his incontinent motorbike in the living room (on the brand new carpet that I replaced after tenant 2 left).

It's a shame that generalizations lead to rules that don't fit individuals. Rather than simply suggesting a blanket law that all tenants have a right to keep pets *in someone else's house*, I wish these numpty politicians would think about how to use the law to deal with the irresponsible outliers. Even in the example above, I ended up £1,000's out of pocket because the laws protecting tenants are much stronger than those protecting landlords.
    Sorry, in their house. It's not yours when you let it out.

It's at best an investment.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    What about people in her position if they have to rent - the landlord will not be able to guarantee no prior pets.

Unless the place is new, the landlord can't guarantee that a dog has never visited or a cat stayed the night.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Unless the place is new, the landlord can't guarantee that a dog has never visited or a cat stayed the night.

Same also applies when buying a house, so not a specific problem to renting.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Sorry, in their house. It's not yours when you let it out.

It's at best an investment.

I was using the possessive in the typical English grammatical sense, i.e., belonging to. The house belongs to the landlord. The tenant lives in it.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Comms69
    Options
    I was using the possessive in the typical English grammatical sense, i.e., belonging to. The house belongs to the landlord. The tenant lives in it.

The landlord owns a deed, the tenant owns a lease - I don't see the difference. (and frankly your bank probably 'owned' more)

In law the house actually belonged to the tenant in any case. The tenant had right to be there, you didn't. (probably semantics now you've left BTL)
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    The landlord owns a deed, the tenant owns a lease - I don't see the difference. (and frankly your bank probably 'owned' more)

In law the house actually belonged to the tenant in any case. The tenant had right to be there, you didn't. (probably semantics now you've left BTL)

Interesting perspective. In all the (many) years I lived in private and public sector rented accommodation in different countries with different property laws, I would never have thought that I owned the house I was living in.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting perspective. In all the (many) years I lived in private and public sector rented accommodation in different countries with different property laws, I would never have thought that I owned the house I was living in.

Would you say that a leaseholder owns their own home?
  • Comms69
    Options

I cant comment on other countries, but that is in essence the situation here.
  • pinklady21
    Options
    There is a paradox here -
    as a landlord, I routinely do not allow my tenants to have pets.
    as a tenant (which I may be shortly if my house ever sells), I have a cat, and will expect the landlord to allow it in the rental property.....

As a tenant, I know that my cat will be well behaved, and in the event that any pet related damage is caused to the property I rent, I will own up and offer to pay the costs of putting it right.

The problem is that as a landlord, how can I trust my tenant, whom I won't know much about, to behave as responsibly?
    Hence, my default position is to ban pets in the property I rent out.

The issue with legislating is trying to be fair to all when there are folks out there who will be irresponsible no matter what the law says!
  • Comms69
    Options
    pinklady21 wrote: »
    There is a paradox here -
    as a landlord, I routinely do not allow my tenants to have pets.
    as a tenant (which I may be shortly if my house ever sells), I have a cat, and will expect the landlord to allow it in the rental property.....

As a tenant, I know that my cat will be well behaved, and in the event that any pet related damage is caused to the property I rent, I will own up and offer to pay the costs of putting it right.

The problem is that as a landlord, how can I trust my tenant, whom I won't know much about, to behave as responsibly?
    Hence, my default position is to ban pets in the property I rent out.

The issue with legislating is trying to be fair to all when there are folks out there who will be irresponsible no matter what the law says!
    Legislation is almost never 'fair' :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport