Sky Soccer prices to fall?

BobQ
BobQ Posts: 11,181
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
So with Sky paying less per game in the latest FA auction, we can look forward to lower prices.

I think not ........
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 February 2018 at 10:00PM
    Sky big winners today I think. More games, less money per game. And probably now higher prices from BT who have paid more for less, and arguably a weaker package than they have currently.

A crazy broadcasting rule that was meant to be better for consumers, but actually ends up costing people more for the same thing.
  • mije1983 wrote: »

A crazy broadcasting rule that was meant to be better for consumers, but actually ends up costing people more for the same thing.

Hopefully, following Brexit, this stupid EU rule will be ditched. On this new deal, it's still possible that someone who wants to watch all the televised matches will have to subscribe to four separate companies as there are still two tranches available!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • If you think Sky or BT will drop their prices, dream on. I've recently had a go round with BT where they screwed up my broadband/line rental/phone package 2 months in a row, then my BTTV deal was expiring - ended up they offered me a 2 year deal at 50p/month more for the identical package - so line rental, BT Infinity 2 fibre, caller display, all calls, BTTV Max + extra box is £64/month.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 2,984
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 February 2018 at 7:36PM
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Sky big winners today I think. More games, less money per game. And probably now higher prices from BT who have paid more for less, and arguably a weaker package than they have currently.

Sort of goes against perceived wisdom that competition drives prices down, if Sky had no competition , then they probably would pay less to the EPL, but could charge whatever they liked and mug punters would pay whatever they asked...strange point of view some of these Sky Fanboys have, don't mind what it costs as long as it's only one direct debit
    As far as BT paying more per game, it's for less games so the money to be paid to the EPL is less than the previous auction, so perhaps BT customers will pay less, just like Sky Sports customers paid less when Sky lost the Champions League...oh wait they didn't did they
  • mije1983
    Forumite
    edited 18 February 2018 at 8:40PM
    iniltous wrote: »
    Sort of goes against perceived wisdom that competition drives prices down,

It may have been made with the best of intentions, but only a fool would think this would be the outcome once a single provider was barred from purchasing all the packages. It's a misguided rule really.

mug punters would pay whatever they asked...strange point of view some of these Sky Fanboys have, don't mind what it costs as long as it's only one direct debit

Not sure where anyone has mentioned anything about fanboys or not minding what it costs? If you hate Sky, then that's fine.

As far as BT paying more per game, it's for less games so the money to be paid to the EPL is less than the previous auction,

Sky are also paying less overall, and less per game which is why I think (so far) they have come out of this better. They also have every weekend first pick and the more coveted kick off times.

There are still 2 packages to sell so all that could change of course. But let's not forget that both are businesses, and their primary objective is to make money, not to keep consumers happy. The latter is just a way to the former that they have to put up with.

However, PL is the heartbeat of Sky's sports offering while it is not so important to BT (with CL and FA Cup), so maybe BT's focus is shifting? Or maybe they have just been outdone by Sky.
  • iniltous wrote: »
    strange point of view some of these Sky Fanboys have, don't mind what it costs as long as it's only one direct debit
    Are you posting to the correct thread? No one here has said that they don't mind the cost or that coverage must come from Sky..
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 2,984
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 February 2018 at 9:16PM
    Hopefully, following Brexit, this stupid EU rule will be ditched. On this new deal, it's still possible that someone who wants to watch all the televised matches will have to subscribe to four separate companies as there are still two tranches available!

Are you posting to the correct thread? No one here has said that they don't mind the cost or that coverage must come from Sky.. See above

As far as the EPL having to ensure no company gets all the TV rights, and a few posters here thinking that's actually a bad idea, leading to higher prices then you would imagine they would that also argue that Sky offering phone and Internet is also a bad idea , and if only BT could have a monopoly phones/internet we would have lower phone/internet prices ?, it's hard to argue that if it's desirable for Sky to move into 'telecoms' to keep BT 'honest', then how can it be undesirable for a company to move into an area dominated by Sky to keep them honest ?
  • mije1983
    Forumite
    But you are talking about 'maybes' and 'could haves'. We can all only go by the facts as they are now, and that is a person wanting to watch 100% of the televised PL games is now paying more per month than they were when Sky had a monopoly, even allowing for inflation. It's not opinion, it's a fact. So yes, it is a bad idea as most people are now paying more.

I have no particular love for Sky or BT, but it would definitely make things cheaper if one or the other (or someone else entirely, I really don't care) could come in a buy all packages.

I have no desire to keep any company 'honest' (again you seem to me talking about things not mentioned in the thread), but what I do have is a desire to get a cheaper price as I'm sure we all do.

Finally, your telecoms anaology does not make sense. I am not forced to use and pay 2 different providers (say Sky and BT for example) to receive the exact same service I used to be getting which is what would be a true comparison.
  • The truly ridiculous idea is that allowing different providers to broadcast different games would somehow cause prices to the consumer to fall. If they were all allowed to show the SAME games there might actually be competition.

It matters little to me whether it's Sky, Virgin, BT or Amazon (unlikely, I know) which is showing the footie. What I want is for it to be cheap and easy to view all the games I want to see.

Certainly, Brexit won't change this situation!:eek:
  • mije1983
    Forumite
    If they were all allowed to show the SAME games there might actually be competition.

This would no doubt be the best answer for consumers, and more in line with the telecoms comparison posted above.

However, as you say this won't happen, Brexit or not. The PL, the clubs and the government all benefit too much by having the prices artificially inflated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure