De-risking equity portfolio..?

Options
Hi all,
I have quite a lot of money invested in shares and think i should start to slowly de-risk by selling at opportune moments and then buying into something else. The problem is, what should i be looking to buy into?
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Comments

• fun4everyone
    Options
    You could consider looking at the various types of bonds, direct property, current accounts+regular savers paying more than inflation, p2p lending and absolute return funds for starters.

All of them apart from the cash accounts carry some sort of risk but all are worth investigating imo.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you find an answer. Then you'll answer a conundrum that's been on the horizon for some time. Perhaps just good old fashioned cash for a period. Might be depleted by inflation. However won't suffer a serious correction in price. Taking profits and sitting on the sidelines isn't always a bad idea.
  • capital0ne
    Options
    Doing anything to a balanced portfolio just because you expect a crash/correction is idiocy.
    You'll miss out on the up-turn massiveley.

Remain invested in the fashion that suits you.

Only sell out to cash if you need it in the next year or so.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are currently 100% equities I would de-risk by cashing in some gains, but only after they recovered from the recent correction.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    If you find an answer. Then you'll answer a conundrum that's been on the horizon for some time. Perhaps just good old fashioned cash for a period. Might be depleted by inflation. However won't suffer a serious correction in price. Taking profits and sitting on the sidelines isn't always a bad idea.

I agree. In the next 10 years we are expecting a period of low investment returns caused by the high p/es but we don't know how it will look. It might just be a nice straight wobbly line or it might be another crash like the GFC followed by a lumpy recovery. It makes sense to hold some cash and possibly funds with equity hedging while asset prices are high.

Alex
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have quite a lot of money invested in shares and think i should start to slowly de-risk by selling at opportune moments and then buying into something else. The problem is, what should i be looking to buy into?

Good luck deciding when that is.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose if we look at the 2008 crash it recovered after maybe 2 years and the 2015 drop after maybe a year and all the while, if you had hung onto your hat,whatever you were invested in was still paying divi's and even better if re-invested.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Alexland
    Options
    I suppose if we look at the 2008 crash it recovered after maybe 2 years and the 2015 drop after maybe a year and all the while, if you had hung onto your hat,whatever you were invested in was still paying divi's and even better if re-invested.

If we look at it closer we might find 2008 was not such a speedy recovery.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    If we look at it closer we might find 2008 was not such a speedy recovery.

The FTSE World Index with dividends reinvested exceeded its pre-crash high within 2 years. Seems reasonably quick to me.
  • Alexland
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    The FTSE World Index with dividends reinvested exceeded its pre-crash high within 2 years. Seems reasonably quick to me.

Yes but the OP was suggesting that the recovery was within two years with further upside if dividends were reinvested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure