Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 February 2018 at 9:42PM
    Options
    Nobody wants this in their garden!

ground-work-picture_2_orig.jpg

What is that supposed to be? Most of us have cables under our gardens leading to our house with gas, electric, water and cable tv (delete as appropriate). We do not see them so it does not bother us.

That is clearly a commercial installation (in Canada) which too will disappear and have no impact upon the eventual ground surfacing. Considering the size of that building and the possible demand for electricity, one can be fairly certain that the OPs will be far less dramatic, even though that even that is not particularly dramatic either. It is all of a foot deep and wide for an entire block of buildings.

You are scaremongering again and, based on previous experience, never returning to the thread again either.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "It is all of a foot deep and wide"

Very very poor guess, I'd say at least 2.5 feet wide and deep.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    "It is all of a foot deep and wide"

Very very poor guess, I'd say at least 2.5 feet wide and deep.

Whatever it is, it is utterly irrelevant. Those are lines running to industrial units in Canada and the post is scaremongering.

I have double checked Western Power’s requirements for a new underground supply and it is 530mm deep, 300mm wide. The risk of the OP suffering any kind of subsidence in the drive after a period of 2 years is virtually nil.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Whatever it is, it is utterly irrelevant. Those are lines running to industrial units in Canada and the post is scaremongering.

It was also badly thought through.

None of us wants that sort of stuff in our gardens?

Really? So we won't be wanting any gas, electricity or drains then! And will we be drawing water from our well, or from the standpipe at the end of the road?
  • J_S_H
    J_S_H Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Just to give a brief update. NP have sent me a letter confirming that the drive will be reinstated to the exact standard that it is in now, that all work will be complete within 5 days, all work has a 2 year guarantee and if not rectified to our standard they will come back within 2 weeks to put it right. So we have agreed to go ahead with the work...fingers and toes crossed we have made the right decision!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    J_S_H wrote: »
    So we have agreed to go ahead with the work...fingers and toes crossed we have made the right decision!

Thank you for returning to update us.

None of us knows the priorities of NP in relation to your locality, but it looks as if they are keen to dispense with overhead lines to individual houses.

Certainly, the recent wholesale burying of overhead cables in my picturesque local town has done wonders for the look of the place. They are never pretty, and certainly not in the quantity they'd installed there over the years.
  • ROY47
    ROY47 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Our adjoining neighbours are (have already started) building an extension on the other side of their house. The overhead electricity cable currently attaches to their house where they want to build the extension. Northern Powergrid have said they will need to disconnect the cables and sink them underground. The problem is this means that they need to sink our power cable too which means digging up our block paved drive. NP have said the work will be guaranteed for two years but we have been given no assurances that it will be put back to the original condition.

My concern is that they won!!!8217;t put the drive back to original condition and that it may sink after the work has had time to settle and we!!!8217;ll be left footing the bill to correct it. Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on what they would do in our position?

If your happy to have a wooden pole outside your property and cable from that pole to your property

Tell Northern Powergrid no way are you putting it underground

If it's overhead supply to next door then to your property ,then somewhere it is fed to next door via a pole

Tell northern power they can put a pole up outside or at last resort in your property and run cable to your house overhead from the pole that originally feeds next door

No need to dig up your drive and a lot cheaper for Powergrid

We do this quite often in my area

just realised you have agreed to the work being done
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ROY47 wrote: »
    Our adjoining neighbours are (have already started) building an extension on the other side of their house. The overhead electricity cable currently attaches to their house where they want to build the extension. Northern Powergrid have said they will need to disconnect the cables and sink them underground. The problem is this means that they need to sink our power cable too which means digging up our block paved drive. NP have said the work will be guaranteed for two years but we have been given no assurances that it will be put back to the original condition.

My concern is that they won!!!8217;t put the drive back to original condition and that it may sink after the work has had time to settle and we!!!8217;ll be left footing the bill to correct it. Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on what they would do in our position?

If your happy to have a wooden pole outside your property and cable from that pole to your property

Tell Northern Powergrid no way are you putting it underground

If it's overhead supply to next door then to your property ,then somewhere it is fed to next door via a pole

Tell northern power they can put a pole up outside or at last resort in your property and run cable to your house overhead from the pole that originally feeds next door

No need to dig up your drive and a lot cheaper for Powergrid

We do this quite often in my area

just realised you have agreed to the work being done

Should have quoted the post.

Anyway, the OP has decided to go ahead with the works.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope OP will come back with an update and photo(s) after the work has been completed?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport