Neighbours want to dig up our drive

Options

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Don’t allow yourself to be rushed into to decision. Obviously you need to weigh up the pros and cons and also consider good neighbourly relations but make sure you’re aware of all the implications (eg if something goes wrong or work is ever needed on the cable in the future, what happens then?)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not respond to NP letter, notifying them asap that you do not consent to the work.

Digging up your drive may be easiest / best / cheapest, but I doubt it is the only option. Ask NP what other options are available for YOUR approval, e.g. it may be possible to route in the garden bordering your drive?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    J_S_H wrote: »
    This would be an ideal solution as the previous owner did the drive and I would trust him to do a good job however; the neighbour has already paid the powergrid £1,000 to have the work done and their subcontractors are booked for next Monday.
    That’s their problem. Whilst you don’t want to get involved in a dispute, your neighbour has been unreasonable and presumptuous. Even if they assumed you’d agree, how were they to know you wouldn’t need use of the drive that day? You could be having your own work done or lots of visitors that day.

As suggested, I think you need to formally communicate with the contractor to put things on hold and put your suggestion to the neighbour with the condition that the works won’t take place until you agree. As a last resort, make sure a car(s) is parked there on the day to block any work.
  • J_S_H
    J_S_H Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Why not respond to NP letter, notifying them asap that you do not consent to the work.

Digging up your drive may be easiest / best / cheapest, but I doubt it is the only option. Ask NP what other options are available for YOUR approval, e.g. it may be possible to route in the garden bordering your drive?

I think I will tell them that at present we do not consent and as you say, ask what other options they have. I’m sure the neighbour won’t be happy but I don’t see what else I can do.

Our drive goes around the garden so they would still need to dig up part of the drive. They need to go in through our garage to the meter under the stairs so they say it has to be this way.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    J_S_H wrote: »
    Our drive goes around the garden so they would still need to dig up part of the drive. They need to go in through our garage to the meter under the stairs so they say it has to be this way.
    So this is more than just digging up the drive then? They will be going in through your garage and into your house. Did the neighbour even check you would be able to provide access on that day? Would you have to take a day off as well? How long will your power be off for?!

Your neighbours have really jumped the gun and have a damned cheek trying to pressure you into agreeing.
  • missile
    Options
    So they intend to dig up your drive and garage floor?
    There is always another way. Why does the cable have to go underground?
    Good luck.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
  • J_S_H
    Options
    So this is more than just digging up the drive then? They will be going in through your garage and into your house. Did the neighbour even check you would be able to provide access on that day? Would you have to take a day off as well? How long will your power be off for?!

Your neighbours have really jumped the gun and have a damned cheek trying to pressure you into agreeing.

Yep, the garage was an additional part of the work dropped on us by the powergrid. They said they would need access for a few hours so as we both work full time I asked to be compensated for a day’s pay which I thought was reasonable. They said no and asked what hours I worked so they could come after I get home at 5pm. I have a 2 year old so that wouldn’t be convenient either as he needs feeding and goes to bed at 7.

They have said it wouldn’t be off for long - whatever that means. They were very vague answering all of our questions which didn’t fill me with confidence.
  • J_S_H
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    So they intend to dig up your drive and garage floor?
    There is always another way. Why does the cable have to go underground?
    Good luck.

They said they would drill a hole in our garage wall and run a cable, in trunking along the wall and then into the meter which is the other side of the garage wall and under our stairs.

I’m going to ask them for direct response to that in writing so they can’t fob me off.

Thank you, I have a feeling I’ll need it!
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I think you know what to do. I hope it doesn!!!8217;t turn into a neighbourly dispute and hopefully your neighbour will realise they!!!8217;ve been ridiculously presumptuous and agree to a deferment until you can work out a mutually agreed solution and date for the work. It sounds like there!!!8217;s an advantage to you of having the works done, but not with the disruption, risk and hassle proposed.
  • missile
    edited 10 February 2018 at 11:28PM
    Options
    "They said" :eek: I would expect and demand a detailed written proposal before I agree to any work being carried out on my property.

It appears you have had detailed discussions with NP and they appear to be under the impression that you have agreed to the work?

I think you are in a difficult situation and it is never too early to consult a solicitor :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport