Training costs

Options

Comments

• charlie_2015
    Options
    Where have I said I do not intend to pay it back? I have asked if its normal for companies to accept small monthly installments. Please read my posts properly.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 11:06PM
    Options
    Where have I said I do not intend to pay it back? I have asked if its normal for companies to accept small monthly installments. Please read my posts properly.

Please read my posts properly too.

I suspect a lot will depend on what you actually signed last year.
    Hi there,

I am posting this on behalf of a friend, lets call her Betty.

Has her employer acted lawfully here? Has she signed her life away with this document?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I'm pretty sure nobody said that. In fact, the only person who implied that was you. So people were reading your posts properly, and it would be handy if you read theirs properly.

Is it normal that companies accept small monthly payments? Some do, some don't, and it depends what you mean by "small". If you can't agree terms then they are free to sue you in court, which will mean that they will add costs to your debt to them, should they win that case. Or they could sell the debt to collectors. It is entirely up to them what they do with a debt. But I also wouldn't be expecting a good reference. Ever.

Why not just ask?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options

Each firm will vary, no harm in asking is there.
  • charlie_2015
    Options
    I am sorry but nicechap did imply I would not pay it back by what he said. Sangie, I have not accused you or anyone else of this, there is no need for you to involve yourself.

I know I can ask but I have come here for advice and experiences before I ask my employer.
  • sangie595
    Options
    I am sorry but nicechap did imply I would not pay it back by what he said. Sangie, I have not accused you or anyone else of this, there is no need for you to involve yourself.
    They implied no such thing. They asked a question. Do you think it is fair for you to allow your employer to invest a lot of money in your training for a course you only did a bit of? The answer to that is pretty relevant.

I'll involve myself in what I want, thank you. Especially since your post was not directed at anyone at all, and there was nobody doing what you accused all of us of.
  • charlie_2015
    charlie_2015 Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 9:57AM
    Options
    I will bite one last time and then I wont be using these forums again. More hassle than its worth!

Nicechap asked if its fair the company invest 5k in training. Previous to his comment I said I am willing to pay the 5k back albeit not all at once. If the company get their money back then I dont see how fair comes into it. Therefore, it is possible to assume "nicechap" implied i wouldnt be paying it back, or he didn't read my previous post.

Quite common to see the full time poster gang having eachother backs.
  • sangie595
    Options
    I will bite one last time and then I wont be using these forums again. More hassle than its worth!

Nicechap asked if its fair the company invest 5k im training
    Almost. They asked if you think it's fair that the company invest £5k in training that you only did a bit of. Something that you still haven't answered. And your questions were whether the employer acted lawfully (yes), and whether you had signed your life away (no). The same answers in fact, that you had a year ago.

You have repeatedly been asked questions which you did not answer. You forgot to mention that "Betty " had asked the same question already and been given an answer. What was the purpose of your asking the same question again now? Were you expecting a different answer?

You can either cooperate and answer the questions, or you can threaten to leave the forum and never post again. Now do you think that the latter threat is going to get you a different answer? You've been asked what exactly you signed. You've been asked whether you have talked to your employers about any of this. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. But then why bother posting? Just to take offence at something that wasn't said?
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Options

I know I can ask but I have come here for advice and experiences before I ask my employer.

I'm afraid you are incorrect. You cannot know what I imply. You can only infer what I meant. And its this use of the english language that lawyers will tie you in knots over, which is why I have repeatedly said your situation will depend on what you signed. You haven't shared that piece of information with us.

And just to set your questions in context of a cross examining lawyer would do to you in court:

You have misled us into the purpose of your enquiry, claiming it was for Betty, when it was for you. That would beg the question of your honesty in this matter.

You claim you cannot pay it back in one go, yet knew you were liable for it from last February - what had you done to mitigate the employers losses?

How much have you saved from your wages & maternity pay to pay back the debt?

The first request for 'what is normal' came after you were asked what your contract says by pink shoes.

It was after you ignored this element that I posted again about what you signed and asked if YOU thought it was fair for your employer to pay £5k for a course you did not complete. I did not ask whether you intended to pay it back.

You've then been told by Sangie (I paraphrase) it doesn't matter what is normal for other companies, its what you signed that counts.

If you like the idea of bailiffs turning up in a year's time to relieve you of goods worth well over £5k after court costs, then please carry on misunderstanding and misinterpreting words and see how far playing the victim gets you.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Nicechap asked if its fair the company invest 5k in training. Previous to his comment I said I am willing to pay the 5k back albeit not all at once. If the company get their money back then I dont see how fair comes into it. Therefore, it is possible to assume "nicechap" implied i wouldnt be paying it back, or he didn't read my previous post.

Quite common to see the full time poster gang having eachother backs.

I also thought that is was they implied. I can see why you took offence.

The trick is to not take it personally. It is a good forum this and you can get some great advice. Stick around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure