PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor keeps pushing price up

Options
124»

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't understand that position - we are looking at the moment - but our house is not on the market yet. I quite understand not accepting offers when the buyer is not proceedable, but not allowing viewings seem strange.

If we see a property that we like, then once we have accepted an offer, we can then immediately make an offer on that one, but if we haven't even seen it, then not chance!

Mark

But when you view a property you won't be proceedable because you won't have accepted an offer if you view before you put your house on the market. Some vendors don't want viewings from people who are not proceedable because by the time you get an offer on your house the house that you liked would probably be sold to someone else who was proceedable at the time of viewing. This means that your viewing wasted everyone's time.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    markyyyyyy wrote: »
    thanks for your replies everyone. I understand i need to get my house on the market ... i have actioned this today and we've got someone taking photos tomorrow so should be up and running by early next week.

The vendor initially accepted an asking price of 157k, but did not want to take it off the marke, then then said they will take it off the market for 4 weeks, for 260k.

We declined that offer, and said 257k is maximum asking orice.

My only concern is that if we sell our house in a week or two, and they have not yet sold their house, do you expect he will be greedy and still want 260k, or would he honor the original

I know this is entirely up to the vendor, but just after your opinions on what you would do.

cheers

Why do you use an emotional word like "greedy". They are selling their house for the maximum they can get. I'd expect you would do the same, or perhaps you aren't "greedy" and will accept less than you can get ?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The vendors, according to you, OP, are "greedy" and you want them to "crawl" to you. I wonder how much of your attitude came across to the vendors when you viewed. You then make several offers, all below the asking price in a short space of time, thereby signalling you are not to be taken seriously.

Were I the vendor, I would not entertain selling to you as you come across as a difficult, unreasonable time-waster. If you are like this now, how are they to know you will not be worse as the transaction proceeds? Gazundering and all sorts of nasty possibilities would occur to me and may have to the vendors.

Buying or selling a house is a business transaction. I suggest you try to conduct yourself in a businesslike manner if you want to be taken seriously and make no more offers on any property until you have at least one firm one on your own.

Sure, buying your dream home is an emotional experience but you need to keep the emotion in check until you are back in your own house, where the vendors/EA can't see or hear you; then you can be as emotional as you like. HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure