Cataract treatment - can it really be true?

Options

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Ah, so you’re Irish living in Wales! :)

Nope ......born & bred (& will probably die!) in Wales
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Factual error flagged up - no it doesnt.

As one comes over the border from England - the signs go English, then Welsh. One of the ways one can tell one has come as far as West Wales is that the order has changed and turned from that to putting Welsh first and English second.

There is nothing laid down stating Welsh has to come first. It is just the preference of a few of the more Western counties of Wales. Other Welsh counties have the preference for it being the other way round.

When you go "abroad" do you not make an effort to speak any words of the language? I think it is only polite and it is always well received. Certainly, if I lived somewhere full time I would make a real effort to do so.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nope ......born & bred (& will probably die!) in Wales

Wow! I must be mad! I could have sworn you supported Ireland on all rugby threads.

Shwmai i'r hwntw arall!
    I’m a Valley girl really, but honorary gog for 40 years. :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    Annual appt this week with optician so must ask the times between first and second eye as I read in another thread the OP is now saying the optician says it!!!8217;s four to six weeks from first eye to second. Maybe I should just ask a friend of a friend who asked their optician?
    :j
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    When you go "abroad" do you not make an effort to speak any words of the language? I think it is only polite and it is always well received. Certainly, if I lived somewhere full time I would make a real effort to do so.

Yes...when I go abroad I do.

But I guess you know that....
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Yes...when I go abroad I do.

But I guess you know that....

No, genuinely, I didn't, how could I know that from your response here re Welsh? The two responses are diametrically opposed.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2018 at 8:14AM
    Options
    I thought you were going in for the faux innocence a couple of posters have before now.

I'm in Britain and not a foreign country though - as we know. Definition of foreign to a British person = some country outside Britain (eg France, Germany, Africa, etc).

I wouldnt dream of regarding a Welsh, Scottish, Irish person in England as foreign. They're as British as I am.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought you were going in for the faux innocence a couple of posters have before now.

I'm in Britain and not a foreign country though - as we know. Definition of foreign to a British person = some country outside Britain (eg France, Germany, Africa, etc).

I wouldnt dream of regarding a Welsh, Scottish, Irish person in England as foreign. They're as British as I am.

Money, it is you who is being disingenuous. Wales is a country, as are England, Scotland and Ireland. We come together as Britain or the UK.

You continually dismiss the individual identities of Welsh, in particular.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options

The term British is a term that covers the people of England, Wales, Scotland & NI which have been linked together through a number of Acts of Parliament - Wales & England in 1536 (though I guess some people would argue 1284), Scotland joined E&W in 1707 with NI joining in in 1800.

Take away those man made Acts and you have English, Welsh, Scotish & Northern Irish people.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2018 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Trying to recall a news item on the radio today - about an incident that happened abroad - but do recall the announcer was calling them "British" and not "English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh or anything else one can think of".

You might like to look a bit further back whilst you're on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age_tribes_in_Britain

or maybe we'll just think Picts, Saxons, Normans....

or a different direction and call us all Europeans....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure