Cataract treatment - can it really be true?

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Speaking of not choosing each word with great care - and phrased like that makes it sound like I'm being "told off" for not wanting to learn Welsh.

You might like to rephrase that more accurately. I'm sure you can't really want to tell me off about my choice of leisuretime activities.....and realise that obviously no-one is entitled to do so.

No - I don't want to actually. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do so. There's nothing right with wanting to do so. It's up to each individual person whether they want to do so or no.

I've got other things I want to do instead. So if I want to do cookery/learning about plants/learning about dance (ie the things I am interested in) and other people want to learn Welsh - then those are our respective choices as to how we wish to spend our time. There are no value judgements attached to either. Each to their own as to how we spend our time (and our money). It is not up to anyone else to form judgements about our choice of hobbies/interests (as long as they're legal).

Why would I want to phrase it differently?

I do think its a duty to learn at least a basic level of the language of the country you've chosen to live in, as long as there are no physical or financial barriers to you learning it, which there aren't in Wales!

I always learn a few basic words of the language of whatever country I'm visiting even if its only for a few days! I think its only polite to make a bit of an effort.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't understand how you couldn't learn welsh by immersion in Wales, I'm learning Gaelic by immersion living on this flipping island and most people use English outside of their homes, certainly in shops, schools and hospitals. Prior to coming up here I'd only ever seen Gaelic on the signs at the train station and heard it as a child watching Donnie Murdo (Danger Mouse in the rest of the UK).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    [QUOTE=Red-Squirrel;73862437

I do think its a duty to learn at least a basic level of the language of the country you've chosen to live in, as long as there are no physical or financial barriers to you learning it, which there aren't in Wales!

[/QUOTE]

That is your personal opinion. In Britain we have the right to freedom of speech and opinions.

My personal opinion is different.

I don't believe that my personal opinion is more valid than yours. Equally I don't believe your personal opinion is more valid than mine.

Cut it out trying to tell me what to do. I think I've been patient for long enough putting up with comments like it. My patience has just run out.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    That is your personal opinion. In Britain we have the right to freedom of speech and opinions.

My personal opinion is different.

I don't believe that my personal opinion is more valid than yours. Equally I don't believe your personal opinion is more valid than mine.

Cut it out trying to tell me what to do. I think I've been patient for long enough putting up with comments like it. My patience has just run out.

Surely you shouldn't think its ok for you to tell me what to post or nor post, then? ;)

I'm not telling you what to do, I'm stating my opinion about what is right and wrong in your situation, which you post about frequently.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I have to admit, living in South Wales (so a predominately English speaking area) there!!!8217;s a greater push on the welsh language - welsh being quoted first and then english - but I had wondered if that was just me.

However if I lived in a predominantly welsh speaking area (as I believe the OP does) I would be inclined to at least learn the basics .....either that or stop moaning about it
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have to admit, living in South Wales (so a predominately English speaking area) there!!!8217;s a greater push on the welsh language - welsh being quoted first and then english - but I had wondered if that was just me.

However if I lived in a predominantly welsh speaking area (as I believe the OP does) I would be inclined to at least learn the basics .....either that or stop moaning about it

Ah, so you’re Irish living in Wales! :)

Money is in the south, but West I believe, where Welsh is commonly spoken.

Even here in Flintshire, away from the coastal strip you hear Welsh. I’d say it’s about 30% first language here.

In my little close, there are three houses with Welsh first, two other with a decent level and one family from Lancashire.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Welsh has to come first on everything now, websites, signs, documents the lot. It is a long and expensive process to get everything changed.
    I’m not a native speaker myself but it would be hard not to pick up any welsh, after all we have had bilingual signage for a long time.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    tooldle wrote: »
    Welsh has to come first on everything now, websites, signs, documents the lot. .

Factual error flagged up - no it doesnt.

As one comes over the border from England - the signs go English, then Welsh. One of the ways one can tell one has come as far as West Wales is that the order has changed and turned from that to putting Welsh first and English second.

There is nothing laid down stating Welsh has to come first. It is just the preference of a few of the more Western counties of Wales. Other Welsh counties have the preference for it being the other way round.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2018 at 12:38AM
    Options
    I think there's a factual error above, and since 31st March 2016 signage across the country must be Welsh dominant at the next event of its renewal.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2016/406/made
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Factual error flagged up - no it doesnt.

As one comes over the border from England - the signs go English, then Welsh. One of the ways one can tell one has come as far as West Wales is that the order has changed and turned from that to putting Welsh first and English second.

There is nothing laid down stating Welsh has to come first. It is just the preference of a few of the more Western counties of Wales. Other Welsh counties have the preference for it being the other way round.

You are most definitely wrong. We are working through the many changes required in my workplace at present.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure