Evans Halshaw Shiremoor £99 admin fee rant

Options
13»

Comments

• Hunnymonster
    Options
    Was in Evans Halshaw in Hartlepool today - asked about the fee and the sales person was adamant that it wasn't optional. Walked and bought elsewhere for cash.

Definitely smells like a shady practice, even if it is legal - it certainly isn't customer focused.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    If they no longer charged the admin fee then they would simply include it in the price of the cars and increase them accordingly.

It's ironic how you both would be happy with the cost "hidden" in the screen price of the car but when they attempt to be more transparent and display the cost separately you disagree with it.
    Adding it to the screen price WOULD be transparent.

Or they could charge £100, £500, £5000 - where does it stop?

The law says that all mandatory charges must be included in the screen price.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I bought a 2 year old Dacia Sandero Stepway from Hylton in Worcester in December. They tried to foist a £59 admin fee on me, and I told them I wouldn't pay it. Plain and simple. It was removed without a quibble.

A lot of these companies seem to be trying it on with admin fees. I even had a caravan site try it with me a year or so back.

It's just a way of trying to fleece a few more quid out of customers, and those that are mug enough will pay it.

Interesting that the two Hylton dealerships in Worcester I mentioned above in my post of 8th February this year have shut up shop and disappeared.

These modern dealerships were very similar to Evans Halshaw - maybe the 'admin fee' was key to driving customers away and them buying elsewhere!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting that the two Hylton dealerships in Worcester I mentioned above in my post of 8th February this year have shut up shop and disappeared.

These modern dealerships were very similar to Evans Halshaw - maybe the 'admin fee' was key to driving customers away and them buying elsewhere!
    No, they simply lost their franchises from Renault-Nissan UK.
    https://www.am-online.com/news/dealer-news/2018/03/22/hylton-group-to-close-renault-and-dacia-showrooms-following-nissan-franchise-loss
  • Juliev
    Juliev Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi micmac22,

This seems like an outright poor experience, can I look into getting this sorted out for you?

For clarity, the £99 charge is completely optional and covers the cost of additional checks we can make to give you more information about a used vehicle's history. It also provides indemnity cover for the full value of the vehicle. We do recommend it, but by no means is it required.

If you'd like to drop me a private message with your full name, I'll contact the dealership team on your behalf and get this sorted out.

Michael - Evans Halshaw Customer Service
    Hi, I'm probably about to buy from EH Walsall, I was also told I needed to pay £99 admin. Could you confirm that this is optional please?
    I've also been told I need to pay £20 for fuel in the car before I drive it away, even though it's showing in the sales photos that there are 39 miles left in the tank. Do I have to pay the £20?
    Thanks.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    Juliev wrote: »
    Hi, I'm probably about to buy from EH Walsall, I was also told I needed to pay £99 admin. Could you confirm that this is optional please?
    I've also been told I need to pay £20 for fuel in the car before I drive it away, even though it's showing in the sales photos that there are 39 miles left in the tank. Do I have to pay the £20?
    Thanks.
    Ive never heared of anyone having to pay a fuel fee in order for the car to be released, as of the £99.00 fee id tell them to stick the car back up for sale as I'm walking away from BS.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've often wanted to buy a car and then just before the money changes hands charge the dealer an admin fee for my time coming into the dealership, wear on my shoes etc. Be great to see the look on the sales persons face!

Seriously though, as people have said, it'e the total cost that matters. How the cost is broken down is irrelevant.
  • Juliev
    Juliev Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Ive never heared of anyone having to pay a fuel fee in order for the car to be released, as of the £99.00 fee id tell them to stick the car back up for sale as I'm walking away from BS.
    Thanks- think that's exactly what I will do!
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 June 2018 at 9:39PM
    Options
    The £99 Fee is optional it actually says so on the red sticker you should see in the car windscreen.
    If the salesman tells you its not optional he's fibbing, the salesman is meant to "sell" you the "benefits" of the protection that comes with paying the fee not tell you its compulsory.

The ASA investigated this back in 2013 see https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/cd-bramall-dealerships-ltd-a13-236544.html#.Vxs9ec6cFPZ CD Bramall is one of the Pendragon owned companies that trade as Evans Halshaw.

As to the £20 fuel fee - tell them you'll pay this as long as the fuel gauge shows there is at least £20 worth of fuel in the car.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go on then, tell us exactly what the £99 buys that is over and above someone’s statutory rights?

It's now nearly 4 months since EvanHalshaw was asked this question. I think that is a good indicator of their attitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure