Evans Halshaw Shiremoor £99 admin fee rant

Options
micmac22
micmac22 Posts: 134 Forumite
edited 10 February 2018 at 3:22PM in Motoring
Hello Michael don't thing your pm is set up.
Just a note to thank yourself and the EH customer service team (over the phone) for input.
I received a phone call from the branch and we agreed to strongly disagree but came to an agreement over the cars.
£1100 part ex.
No £99 admin charge.
full tank of diesel.
Road fund licence tax i paid for with sale of vehicle but No separate receipt given for it (asked for), only mentioned on EH vehicle invoice. wont show as being paid on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ for 5 working days.
Vehicle MOT showing as 9-4-18 on above site, No MOT paperwork given, sold vehicle without 12 month MOT ? probably been done ? but wont show for 5 working days.
Had to ask for the V5C/2 new keeper details paper tare off from main V5.
Told the £200 move a car deposit has been refunded but no receipt given wont show on account till next week.

From a customer point of view these are a lot of things to bug a customers mind for a week, for the sake of pressing the print button when being paid for by EH admin staff. Overall its a shame about pushy sales managers in branch when you have nice (its cold, would you like a cuppa while you look round ) sales staff Stewart, but i suppose its their job.

Would i recommend EH for cars yes, but id probably add not shiremoor sales managers.

Thanks again to the customer service team, hope i dont have to bug you again.

Regards

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hes being a !!!!.

You're right to be complaining about behaviours like that.

No need at all for an "admin fee".
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the overall price that counts - the admin fee is just to bring the headline figure down.
    If it's overpriced, then ask for a £99 discount to counteract the £99 charge?

My local dealer charges £129 admin fee.
    As they wouldn't cut it, I negotiated a set of mats and a full tank of fuel which would cost me something like £100 anyway..
  • B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know that showroom and I agree with post #2.

I bet the guy has a Vauxhall with a reg starting KN08.
    Shame as some of the mechanics are OK.
    I had an awkward receptionist once.
    I nearly bought a brand new Vauxhall from there, but they wouldn't compete anywhere near on price! I ended up going to Sherwoods in Darlington for a fantastic service and price.
    Later, I received a call from their head office asking if I was still interested in a deal. I advised I had bought from Sherwoods due to large price difference! They weren't pleased to have lost the deal after I had given the genuine price I paid. I was willing to pay a £100 premium to buy locally and didn't want an exact price match.
    Hope you get it sorted.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Daughter just had same thing with Motorpoint, admin fee to valet the car apparently. In total transport fees £99, prep fee £99 and deposit £300.

When she told them to sod off they waived them except the transport fee and this is all shown on the invoice. She also got PX figure increased by telling them what best price she was offered was. Don't pay any crappy made up fees.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And this sort of thing is one reason why the ONLY relevant figure is the cost to change. Not the "admin fees", not discounts on the screen prices, not the PX "value". But the actual amount you have to fork over in order to drive in in the car you're PXing and drive out in the one you're buying...

The rest is just fripperies to do a bit of sleight-of-hand on the gullible.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We just refused to pay it at EH the car was n ex EH demonstrator so they could not explain what the fee was for so we went to walk and they removed it!
    Yes the car was fine and no problems for the nearly 3 years we owned it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    micmac22 wrote: »
    This is a Vehicle Status Verification charge of £99. This will provide you with the Full History and mileage check for the vehicle and will protect your purchase with indemnity cover for the full vehicle value. The Administration fee is an optional charge, however this would be strongly recommended by all supplying dealerships.
    Tell them to sod off or you'll go elsewhere, I doubt this car is so unique there aren't others.

Quicks who Evans Halshaw owned tried this on with me. I told them I wasn't paying it and it was their responsibility to make sure that the vehicle they sold me was what it said it was, wasn't stolen and was as described in regards to service history etc and that they had the legal right to sell it. He bleated on about what if it turns out to be stolen in a few years time to which my reply was that would be their problem as I'd bought it from a dealer.
  • EvansHalshaw
    EvansHalshaw Posts: 5 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi micmac22,

This seems like an outright poor experience, can I look into getting this sorted out for you?

For clarity, the £99 charge is completely optional and covers the cost of additional checks we can make to give you more information about a used vehicle's history. It also provides indemnity cover for the full value of the vehicle. We do recommend it, but by no means is it required.

If you'd like to drop me a private message with your full name, I'll contact the dealership team on your behalf and get this sorted out.

Michael - Evans Halshaw Customer Service
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Evans Halshaw. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.

Michael - Evans Halshaw Customer Engagement Leader

Need help? Contact Evans Halshaw Customer Services:
    Search "Evans Halshaw" on Facebook Messenger
    Call Us: 0333 3239 178
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I bought a 2 year old Dacia Sandero Stepway from Hylton in Worcester in December. They tried to foist a £59 admin fee on me, and I told them I wouldn't pay it. Plain and simple. It was removed without a quibble.

A lot of these companies seem to be trying it on with admin fees. I even had a caravan site try it with me a year or so back.

It's just a way of trying to fleece a few more quid out of customers, and those that are mug enough will pay it.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's the overall price that counts - the admin fee is just to bring the headline figure down.
    If it's overpriced, then ask for a £99 discount to counteract the £99 charge?

My local dealer charges £129 admin fee.
    As they wouldn't cut it, I negotiated a set of mats and a full tank of fuel which would cost me something like £100 anyway..
    AdrianC wrote: »
    And this sort of thing is one reason why the ONLY relevant figure is the cost to change. Not the "admin fees", not discounts on the screen prices, not the PX "value". But the actual amount you have to fork over in order to drive in in the car you're PXing and drive out in the one you're buying...

The rest is just fripperies to do a bit of sleight-of-hand on the gullible.

All very well but in this instance the sales manager is saying "well if you wont pay the £99 we'll take £200 off your trade in allowance" which is frankly bang out of order.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure