Hargreaves Landsdown to "update" their website

Options

Comments

• slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Yes, it's expensive and doesn't offer the flexibility of others.

https://investments.hsbc.co.uk/pdf/invest-direct-rates-fees-kfd.pdf

Here's a link to the Monevator broker/platform comparison table, which should help you find a more suitable option:

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
    This comparison is easier to read.

http://www.comparefundplatforms.com/compare.aspx
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    slinga wrote: »
    This comparison is easier to read.

http://www.comparefundplatforms.com/compare.aspx

I don't agree, and, more importantly, it does a different job. Your link attempts to rank platforms based on certain assumptions about growth and sums invested; Monevator just gives you an overview of all the costs so that you can work out the best solution for yourself. Your link also makes some interesting decisions: it placed a platform as my top choice when I tested it for my own portfolio, even though that would actually work out more expensive than who I am currently with. I prefer to have the data and do my own calculations as I can be sure it's correct and I don't have to rely on someone else's assumptions.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And here is a spreadsheet you can set to your own circumstances.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    I don't agree, and, more importantly, it does a different job. Your link attempts to rank platforms based on certain assumptions about growth and sums invested; Monevator just gives you an overview of all the costs so that you can work out the best solution for yourself. Your link also makes some interesting decisions: it placed a platform as my top choice when I tested it for my own portfolio, even though that would actually work out more expensive than who I am currently with. I prefer to have the data and do my own calculations as I can be sure it's correct and I don't have to rely on someone else's assumptions.

I find these kind of comparisons not very helpful:

How many funds will you have? Err, I don't know
    How many trades will you do? That depends
    How much will it grow by? Haven't a clue

Maybe they're useful if you already hold investments elsewhere and want to compare but, unless you manage your investments like a robot, this year is likely to be different from last year and so you can't answer these. Meanwhile the beginner has no idea what they're going to do.

So using the raw numbers allows you to say 'brand X is cheaper up til £6000 and then brand Y is cheaper unless I make more than 27 trades per year' means you know whether you're close to a point where you might switch from one to another, or are in solid brand Z territory.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HL website is down atm????
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HL have a great website, so that level of work will continue you'd imagine.

It may well be very different, but after a few days you will be familiar with it.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 February 2018 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Upgrade seems not as bad as feared. Just looks a bit different. Obviously done to be more suited to mobile devices. All the text is much bigger so if your using a desktop pc you can't see as much without scrolling. So far I don't regard it as any kind of improvement
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2018 at 12:00AM
    Options
    Plus wrote: »
    I find these kind of comparisons not very helpful:

How many funds will you have? Err, I don't know
    How many trades will you do? That depends
    How much will it grow by? Haven't a clue

Maybe they're useful if you already hold investments elsewhere and want to compare but, unless you manage your investments like a robot, this year is likely to be different from last year and so you can't answer these. Meanwhile the beginner has no idea what they're going to do.

So using the raw numbers allows you to say 'brand X is cheaper up til £6000 and then brand Y is cheaper unless I make more than 27 trades per year' means you know whether you're close to a point where you might switch from one to another, or are in solid brand Z territory.

I think you are actually agreeing with me that having all of the costs and doing your own sums is better than using the other link posted.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not impressed. I thought at least they would change the colour palette so those red numbers from Friday turned blue.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    Upgrade seems not as bad as feared. Just looks a bit different. Obviously done to be more suited to mobile devices. All the text is much bigger so if your using a desktop pc you can't see as much without scrolling. So far I don't regard it as any kind of improvement
    Yes, more scrolling on a PC. Using a 'standard resolution for decent netbooks these days' (full HD display 1920 x 1080), and zoomed to a normal 100% zoom level in the browser, their homepage takes up six entire screen heights.

My favourite web page is Google, which is one screen height.

MSE is about three for most of its front page content but currently has a 'how much will you spend on Valentines Day poll' hanging on the bottom which takes over ten scrolled pages just to ask you your gender, age bracket and what amount you'll spend.

Maybe the designers are getting paid on column inches - for quantity not quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure