Hargreaves Landsdown to "update" their website

Options
Nothing wrong with the current one as far as I can see but hey ho lots of folk have got to justify their salaries.

http://www.hl.co.uk/about-us/hl-refresh

Got a feeling that like most "improvements" this is going to be horrible. No doubt the website will be aimed at mobile devices - like the awful Fidelity upgrade.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember when MSE refreshed its look and it was awful. Luckily, MSE kept the old skins available and many of us still use them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh dear. The current one works well for me so on grounds of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I have a horrible feeling it will not be as good.
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 7:55PM
    Options
    It will no doubt be all "responsive" and mostly designed for mobile/tablet usage.

In other words absolutely ******* awful.
    A_T wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the current one as far as I can see but hey ho lots of folk have got to justify their salaries.

I would agree. There is also the fact Google drops any non mobile friendly site far down the rankings so basically they are forcing webmasters to do this. It's also cheaper to run 1 "responsive" website rather than 2 seperate desktop/mobile websites. Load of garbage :(
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Remember when MSE refreshed its look and it was awful. Luckily, MSE kept the old skins available and many of us still use them.

I am set to the old skin as well. On logging out you see the new "responsive mobile friendly" look. It is terrible. Yet that is what all new signups are probably on? So eventually we could all be forced over as old users leave and the % of people on the new look increases :(.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I read this today.

Unlike others I am not at all impressed with the HL site. I find it unnecessarily complex (IMHO), it is non-intuitive and lots of facilities are hidden away on subsequent pages.

What is the "capital account" and "income account" all about?

I much prefer the Youinvest site and the old TD site (before it was refreshed about a year ago).

The old Fidelity site was quite good, the current one is dreadful!
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like they're keeping most things the same but just adjusting their branding with some new snazzy colours etc and slimming down some menus. I expect all the important dealing and portfolio stuff will stay much the same.
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »

I certainly do! Awful it was..... I'm using the old skin, looks far better in my opinion
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I certainly do! Awful it was..... I'm using the old skin, looks far better in my opinion

I agree with this.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    Unlike others I am not at all impressed with the HL site. I find it unnecessarily complex (IMHO), it is non-intuitive and lots of facilities are hidden away on subsequent pages.

I agree, it's always struck me as being an illogical mess.
    Stompa
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 7 February 2018 at 12:10AM
    Options
    Everyone is always cynical when their favourite webpage is redesigned or re-developed to work with more modern browsers or different devices or take advantage of up-to date functionality or security that did not exist when the page was first designed or conceived and may have already been implemented by their rivals some time ago.

FWIW I still use the old skin for MSE forums, as do many of the 'old hands' above who have been here long enough to know what they're missing if the go onto the new version - but I generally feel "don't knock it 'til you've tried it".

If things never got an update or refresh we would all be trying to work in HTML 1.0 and wishing they would get round to inventing 'frames' to help organise the website. The sites I was using two decades ago were woefully inferior to what is around today (although would have loaded much faster on my 240mbps home connection now than they did back then on the cutting-edge T1 of the time).

For posterity...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport