PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Options

Comments

• hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And, packed lunches - my OH hates bread and sandwiches and I cant have grains so we end up having a lot of egg based things - muffins and spanish omelette. I could see your frozen sweetcorn, broccoli, tired Parmesan, cooking bacon, etc making them interesting.

The base recipe I use is;
    Squirt of oil spray into silicone muffin tray (£shop)

Beat six eggs with three egg whites until well combined. Add your flavourings (original recipe is a grated courgette and half a finely chopped red onion) . I use crispy bits of bacon, broken up bits of frozen peppers, cubes of part boiled potatoes, leftover ends of veg, bits of mushrooms, sprinkle of finely grated cheese and herbs etc. Spoon into muffin tray, almost all of the way full, and then bake for 20 minutes at 180.

They keep ok for a couple of days.

TOPM posted a link to some nice looking savoury muffins on her diary earlier too.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well done charliestribe Mine has plenty of junk in too. large mint vienetta anyone?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    well done charliestribe Mine has plenty of junk in too. large mint vienetta anyone?
    We ate all the vienetta's at christmas, i do have 3 chocolate brownie pies, 3 strawberry chesecakes, a chocolate gataux and 5 tubs of ice cream though...
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,051 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all for the coconut in curry ideas! I can see prawn curry is the way to go (if I can wean myself off a sudden love for macaroons)! I do like prawns, though... :)
    joedenise wrote: »
    phizzimum For meat curries I usually use about 100ml of coconut milk (from a tin) for 2 portions. The rest of the can I freeze in a silicon muffin tin and once frozen transfer to a plastic ziplock bag - so I get 4 curries for 2 of us out of can of coconut milk.

Denise - how did you know I have four tins of coconut milk sitting in my cupboard? :rotfl:
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    I The M&S sausage mountain has been reduced by 10% though :D

So I am lying here in bed [STRIKE]feeling poorly
    [/STRIKE] getting better and dreaming happily of a sausage mountain! With waffles, beans and brown sauce... culinary perfection. I could happily start on that right now. I might just offer to help out with the vienettas, too. :D

Charlie I wouldn't push yourself to too much cooking till you feel okay again - I am sure it will still be there when you are on your feet once more, with the possible exception of a few sausages. Well done on making a list, they do help though it's annoying when the crossings off / addings on aren't kept up to date.

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Lost my post as MSE has asked me to change my password, first time ever!
    hex2 wrote: »
    I was looking at your list xspender and I remembered ages ago on OS lots of people raving about these wheetabix brownies. I must try the Boy Who Doesn't Eat on them.

I can see the Weetabix hanging around the longest. DH bought them for breakfasts on SW but he is not a breakfast eater, I can't eat them as they contain gluten and DS doesn't like them. DS loves brownies though so will have a look.

I will add the eggy muffin things to the list for next week as DH likes these.
    I've done it! I have a freezer list. I've stuck it to the front of the fridge, just hoping everyone crosses things off as they use it (DH is terrible for a sausage sandwich when he comes in from work). I haven't braved the cupboards yet, although they are almost empty.
    Not sure i'm brave enough to post it though, it's definitely going to be a week of junk food.

Well done on listing the freezer contents. Nowt wrong with junk food, I feel like I have lived on all day breakfast this week!

I am focussing on clearing the perishables this weekend and either eating them or turning them into something freeze-able. DH is now not away with work next week and instead will be away next week which is much better for us but will mean that I need to feed him. I will need to redo the meal plan too.

I may have to buy fruit for him for next week but as this will be the first week in I don't know how long that I haven't done a proper shop I can live with a couple of quid on fruit.

So far my cooking list for the weekend looks like this:

Chicken in a mustard sauce (tonight)
    Sausage and leek casserole with extra sausages to make a lunch portion for DH (Sunday)
    Thai Turkey Mince
    Vegan Chilli
    Smoothies x 4 (to use up yogurt, sad bananas, frozen fruit)
    Eggy muffins with various bits in
    Carrot muffins
    Flapjack
    Eve's pudding (using up sad apples)
    Tomato and cheese scones
    Savoury rice with chicken sausages (snack for DH)

That should keep me out of mischief ;)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    Lost my post as MSE has asked me to change my password, first time ever!
    That should keep me out of mischief ;)

Off subject but that just happened to me- luckily didn't lose a post. Told me I had had my password for what? 322 days? Clearly getting a bit security conscious!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I got a password change too - think they are working behind the scenes.

It looks like a very tasty list. Those eggy muffins are such a good idea for a low-carb way of using bits up!

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :(I got a password change notice at 162 days!

Mint viennetta:( Why does anyone think that toothpaste makes a good flavour for icecream?:rotfl:

I keep getting stuff out of the freezer and putting it back in! Today I got some of the stashed soup out for lunch. Got peppers for a recipe next week, so they are going in. Cooked apple to go with our hm yogurt and some of that is going in too. Making tomato sauce for recipe tonight, so did 6 can's worth so now got to find that some space.... but it's Pizza on the plan next week, so will alllll be ready!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My password reset said you have not changed your password in 3653 days :eek: I haven't been on that long!

DH has reminded me that he promised DS his first KFC for doing so well in his swimming. This comes out of a different budget. As I cant eat it I will stick to my veggie burger meal as planned :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills