PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did anyone ever completely get rid of sugar puffs? There are probably still some stuck under some piece of carpet here and we haven't bought them in years!

Good to see you back and glad it's nothing more alarming than work. :)

I think the likes of chicken and frozen veg aren't as significant as those incidental buys that never get used up. At least you know there will be a turnover of basics. DH is doing well using up custard powder and I have (as mentioned somewhere) started to eat lime pickle by the spoonful (no I'm not expecting anything apart from a possible stomach ache) but the freezer is still full...
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did anyone ever completely get rid of sugar puffs? There are probably still some stuck under some piece of carpet here and we haven't bought them in years!

Good to see you back and glad it's nothing more alarming than work. :)

I think the likes of chicken and frozen veg aren't as significant as those incidental buys that never get used up. At least you know there will be a turnover of basics. DH is doing well using up custard powder and I have (as mentioned somewhere) started to eat lime pickle by the spoonful (no I'm not expecting anything apart from a possible stomach ache) but the freezer is still full...

I love this post so much Cherryfudge. I have had such a heavy week with work and the two-part humour (I hope this was intended :eek:) has made me laugh out loud as I take a ten minute break from work, accounting and paying bills, shuffling the chairs on the Titanic, and so on. Thank you.

Sugar Puffs. Spot on. My advice is either to use them to stop your carpet walking (they are clinically proven to stick things together :money:) or chuck them into melted chocolate, maybe with the crumbs from a cornflake packet and give them to children/Sport Relief bake sale (or should that be relief from SP bake sale?).

It was the lime pickle that made me laugh :rotfl::rotfl:

Have a good weekend everyone
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • bargainhunterss
    Options
    This is such a good idea! I'm definitely in the 'top up the stuff we use every week' category – with lots of food underneath!

We're a bit pushed budget-wise this month (a busy month for birthdays etc.) so it will be good to try and make do with what we have in.

The freezer is also sorely in need of defrosting too so two good reasons! I'll be making a list of everything tonight and make a plan of attack :D
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've updated the lists at the front of the thread to show what we have used up as we come to the end of the challenge.

I haven't made huge inroads into the baking stuff, probably because we have been trying to lose weight. There are few jars of ready made sauces left as well. DH is still on his super healthy eating plan so these will stay in the cupboard for a while yet.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Fizzy11
    Fizzy11 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 April 2018 at 10:42PM
    Options
    I hope it!!!8217;s ok if I join you all in using up old stock because I!!!8217;m feeling a bit guilty about how old some of the stuff I!!!8217;ve used was.

I have let on it was out of date but not by much. A tin of tomatoes dated Aug 15 went into soup today. I promise it was off. Also made a cake with out of date sultanas & mixed spice. I just used double because the taste had faded a lot.

Off to read this whole thread & I hope it;s ok that I!!!8216;ve subscribed.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I love this post so much Cherryfudge. I have had such a heavy week with work and the two-part humour (I hope this was intended :eek:) has made me laugh out loud as I take a ten minute break from work, accounting and paying bills, shuffling the chairs on the Titanic, and so on. Thank you. ..

Sugar Puffs. Spot on. My advice is either to use them to stop your carpet walking (they are clinically proven to stick things together :money:) or chuck them into melted chocolate

Glad I made you laugh :D. I hope the deckchairs are neatly in line now...

Our freezer progress us more steady than spectacular, nothing to report really but the foodstuffs need a thorough sort out as we seem to attract pasta, onions and part-jars of things that go on toast. I also have to confess to throwing a few things out that got past eating. That's the unfortunate triumph of optimism over sense when things get too busy.

Onwards and upwards :)

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Weellllll, I came across this old thread today. Nothing much has changed! I'm half way through the freezer audit, in the cellar hanging over an open freezer is a great place to be in warm weather.

My plan is to log what is there and then decide what there is in sufficient quantity for when we have visitors and what we need to scoff when there are just 2 of us.

I have been following the Whole30 meal plan for health (gut related ) reasons, so there are things there that I won't be able to have, but hub or dd might. So that needs addressing as well.

How are your freezers looking?
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Hello purpleivy - a timely post! I decided the other day that the freezer needs to go on a bit of a diet but I took out a lasagne and added a bag of sweetcorn so I haven't actually got very far yet, I wonder what's in there?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family