Car drove into me, now claiming I rolled back

Options

Comments

• ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a dash cam had one for years now

I have been telling friends and family to buy one for ages now but none can be @rsed, but unfortunately a friend was in an accident a few months ago next day he went to halfrauds to buy one......

a simple rule i follow is when it comes to money dont trust anybody as peoples love for money outways their morals
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you had rolled back there would be no damage to either vehicle because of the lack of momentum. I'm quite sure your insurance company will see it for what it is.

A forward facing dashcam wouldn't help you in this situation, you need a rear facing one as well as others have said.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    If you had rolled back there would be no damage to either vehicle because of the lack of momentum. I'm quite sure your insurance company will see it for what it is.

A forward facing dashcam wouldn't help you in this situation, you need a rear facing one as well as others have said.

Of course it would, it would show the vehicle stationary until the bump.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »

A recording from a forward facing camera would prove that the OP's car didn't move backwards and it would also show the jolt from a car hitting the rear of their vehicle.
    Provided that the time and date were shown, I don't see that this evidence would be discounted.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, never leave home without dash cam front and back. I saved more than the cost when a "lady" damaged my car whilst it was parked.

Unfortunately without corroborating witness or evidence, I suspect OPs insurance will agree knock for knock.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Insurance companies are wise to people claiming for injuries that couldn't possibly have been caused by the accident.

Don't engage with the 3rd party, don't let him send you details of the damage or the injuries (if you do this it looks like you think you might be liable). You've given him your insurance details, that's all you need to do.

Treat him and his claim with the scorn he deserves.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I'd also be surprised if someone rolling back into a car at a roundabout would have done any significant damage to car or passengers, since you could only be hitting them at 1 or 2 mph.

This absolutely ... I was going to make the exact same comment. There's no way at all (unless you were on a steep incline and free-wheeling back for some time) that a roll back could cause even minor damage, nevermind significant damage and injury. The other party is at it.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just re-iterate to your insurance company that you were stationary at the roundabout with the handbrake on, so did not roll backwards, and that this is a fraudulent claim.

I had something similar years ago and was waiting at traffic lights at a roundaboutnoa dual carriageway and someone drove very fast into the back of me and wrote their own car off, then their insurance tried to imply I had reversed into them. Hahahahaaaa. They soon changed their mind.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    I would not worry too much for now. Wait and see if anything comes of it. What I would do is buy yourself a set of forward and reverse dash cams. You will always have proof if anything should happen in the future.

We have them on both mine and my wife's car. Makes us feel a whole lot safer. It also means we are more careful in the way we drive as the proof is always there. Well until 3 hours of recording wipes it off!

Agreed, and even just a forward facing dash cam would do as you'd see the jolt when the car hit and would be able to tell it hadn't rolled back.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From post #3
    " I don't think you would roll forward at the round about as the road flattens out at the round about. "

Don't be saying that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport