ITV no ads

I hope this is the right place to post this but just noticed ITV are doing a free trial of watching tv with no ads and also downloading. You can get it on their website or on the app I think.

Has anyone done this before?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Cost is £3-99 PM after 1 month free trial .
  • I seem to remember they've had it for quite awhile.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,485
    Forumite
    We don't watch live TV much so it was a shock to see all the adverts, the adverts must be getting close to 40% of the actual showtime.

They counted something like 9 adverts during a show.

I would rather watch paint dry
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,806
    Forumite
    Most hour long ITV (and Channel 4/5) programmes in the last few years only run for about 47 minutes. 40% of an hour long programme slot for adverts is closer to (but higher than) the American system which is an average of 41 minutes of programme per hour.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am no defender of ITV: most of their programming is not to my taste. However, firstly: they do not receive the benefits of a Licence fee, as do BBC. Secondly: they are confronted with more and more rival commercial channels running the same ads, thus constantly decreasing their share of Ad revenue.

It is a fact that the advertising produces the revenue stream that pays for programmes and allows all TV services (except BBC) to operate. When there are more people taking slices from the same cake, the slices just get thinner. When you look at the number of channels that ITV operate, the real ITV mistake appears: repeats of the same repeated programme, on all those dumb ITV+ and ITV2-3- etc channels. Same with channel 4 and many others. How thin the slices will get, is impossible to say. There has to come a time when it will be unsustainable.

Just don't get me started on the dumb, out of touch, unrealistic ads that we see. Adland writers are from a different planet...
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,464
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you can record programmes by using a pvr or taking a paid tv subscription, you can avoid ads by recording then fast forwarding through the ads . You can also use on demand which tends to have no very few ads.
  • Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you watch itv catchup online you can use a program called admuncher and it stops them for free lol. just like channel 4 you can use adblock plus however you have to disable the adblock plus for 1st set of ads once the show starts you can turn it back on and watch the rest of the show add free, I think channel 5 still just blocks ads using adblock plus. i guess everyone wants their piece of the netflix pie money the more we go like american tv the more people stop watching live tv.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,464
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In a newspaper article, a few days ago,it was reported that ITV are not coping very well with today's income from adverts ; hence the hope that people will pay for Hub services.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Most hour long ITV (and Channel 4/5) programmes in the last few years only run for about 47 minutes. 40% of an hour long programme slot for adverts is closer to (but higher than) the American system which is an average of 41 minutes of programme per hour.

So that would be 22% then, and not 40%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport