Seller didn't pay enough postage (China?)

Hi guys looking for a bit of advice.

I received a card through the door today from the Royal Mail informing me that I need to pay an extra £2 due to unpaid postage.

The only thing that I can think this could be is a low cost item I bought from a seller based in China on ebay. It cost less than the amount I'm being asked to pay the Royal Mail. I am slightly confused about how a parcel from China could get this far with the wrong postage I didn't really think it would be possible. But I can't see it being anything else. Saying that, checking the sellers feedback there is not suggestion that this is a regular occurrence.

Is there a way to claim this back through ebay? Or anything I should do to ensure I'm not out of pocket. I know it's only £2 and I'm not hugely concerned if I end up paying it and losing it, but I would like to get it back it possible.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You won't know what it is until you see it, and even then it may not be obvious who the sender was. At our DO they will get the item and give you an opportunity to make a decision on whether you want to pay or not. If you don't then fine.

If you do pay it and ascertain it is from a seller, upload a copy of the receipt and ask them for reimbursement.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Shrimply wrote: »

I received a card through the door today from the Royal Mail informing me that I need to pay an extra £2 due to unpaid postage.

The only thing that I can think this could be is a low cost item I bought from a seller based in China on ebay. It cost less than the amount I'm being asked to pay the Royal Mail. I am slightly confused about how a parcel from China could get this far with the wrong postage I didn't really think it would be possible. But I can't see it being anything else. Saying that, checking the sellers feedback there is not suggestion that this is a regular occurrence.

Is there a way to claim this back through ebay? Or anything I should do to ensure I'm not out of pocket. I know it's only £2 and I'm not hugely concerned if I end up paying it and losing it, but I would like to get it back it possible.

It is unlikely to be the Chinese item as it relates to a letter or large letter to which no postage has been added at all:

Letters/Large Letters - no postage paid - £2 flat fee

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/143/~/ive-received-a-grey-fee-to-pay-card%2C-what-do-i-need-to-do%3F
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    When did you order the item from China? A lot of Chinese sellers use a UK drop shipper. As above though, all you can do is tell the seller and see what they say. Ebay won't be able to force them to refund you. If it is their letter that is the problem.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite

It probably inst your parcel china......remember the £2 fee includes royal mails fee
    Someone might have sent you a letter with no stamp on
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Phone the local Delivery office and ask if it's from China. You can refuse to pay and refuse to accept the parcel/letter, it could turn out to be just a piece of junk mail. If it is your China parcel you can refuse it and open a INR, personally I'd at least give the seller a chance to help by contacting them as they may reimburse you the postage. If your seller refuses to reimburse you, don't pick up the parcel and open a INR instead. Give the seller the benefit of the doubt, it's usually the PO that screws up not the seller.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the advice,

On the piece of card it says as the reference "Small Pkt" - So I figure it's a parcel rather than letter. I will have to go and check it out tomorrow.

I presumed ebay would have a system in place to deal with this sort of thing rather than just relying on the honesty of the seller.
  • soolin
    gardner1 wrote: »
    It probably inst your parcel china......remember the £2 fee includes royal mails fee
    Someone might have sent you a letter with no stamp on

The fee is now a flat payment for everything other than a medium parcel, it is no longer the missing amount plus a fee.
    Thanks for all the advice,

On the piece of card it says as the reference "Small Pkt" - So I figure it's a parcel rather than letter. I will have to go and check it out tomorrow.

I presumed ebay would have a system in place to deal with this sort of thing rather than just relying on the honesty of the seller.

Small packet is often used to denote a large letter and if you look at the link I posted £2 relates exactly to a letter or large letter with no postage at all added.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    My link goes to this very clear explanation of the fee structure:

What are the fees for?
    If your item had insufficient postage or no stamps attached, a flat-rate fee will be charged as follows:
    Letters/Large Letters - no postage paid - £2 flat fee
    Letters/Large Letters - insufficient postage paid - £1.50 flat fee
    Small Parcel - underpaid/no postage paid - £3 flat fee
    Medium Parcel - underpaid/no postage paid - £1.50 plus incremental postage rounded to the nearest 10 pence
    If your item has had a Customs charge applied it will include a handling fee of £8.00
    What if I don’t pay the fee?
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a similar issue with P.O. requesting a fee. My seller had stuck the stamp on with sellotape and this is considered to be ‘reusing’ the stamp hence it was classed as postage not paid. It could be a late Christmas card :)
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So for anyone who is waiting with baited breath to find out what it was it wasn't from China (although that parcel did arrive today).

It was a parcel which went missing in the hands of Amazon Shipping over 2 weeks ago. According to the tracking it was handed to the recipient... So how it ended up being delivered by the royal mail two weeks later is interesting.

I probably shouldn't have paid it but it wasn't until I left the delivery office that it registered what it was. Going to see what Amazon say but I can't see me getting a whole lot of sense out of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure