Travel insurance question

Options
It's been said many times to get insurance as soon as you book to cover yourself incase you fall ill or whatever before the holiday.

I've booked a trip to New York in June, I bought travel insurance immediately after. I have the documents and have 2 questions on this (of course I will call insurers tomorrow when they open but wanted your advice first).

1) documents says 'policy start date' being the date of outbound travel in June. Does that mean I'm not covered from now until June?

2) although I leave NY on 19th June, when I return to UK it'll actually be 20th June. My insurance ends on 19th June, should it really end on 20th?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The policy is valid for cancellation before the start date. It is only valid for travel related claims (delays, medical expenses etc) on the dates specified.

Yes, it should end on the 20th.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would have asked what date you wanted the policy to start - what date did you put?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    It would have asked what date you wanted the policy to start - what date did you put?

It normally only asks when you want it to start if it's an annual policy, otherwise it asks when the travel commences.
    Even though the cover for the trip begins on the specified date, cancellation cover normally starts as soon as the policy has been issued.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »

That's what I was thinking. If you wanted to have cover for possible cancellation before you go then it should start from now. Then you'd be covered for this holiday to NYC or any other trip that you take beforehand. It sounds to me that you've only taken out cover for the actual single trip. Definitely need to clarify tomorrow.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Options
    Just done a dummy quote on one of the MSE recommended companies.

It did ask when I wanted policy to start....I put today. The end date options were 5 days, 7 days etc....or other date in the future. Putting the end date to July made it much more expensive than an end date 14 days from now, which makes sense.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. If you wanted to have cover for possible cancellation before you go then it should start from now. Then you'd be covered for this holiday to NYC or any other trip that you take beforehand. It sounds to me that you've only taken out cover for the actual single trip. Definitely need to clarify tomorrow.

No, that is not how single-trip cover works. The starting date is the first day of the holiday, but cancellation cover commences as soon as the policy is taken out.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    I
    2) although I leave NY on 19th June, when I return to UK it'll actually be 20th June. My insurance ends on 19th June, should it really end on 20th?

Probably it should end on the date when you first arrive at your home or work after your holiday, so telephone your insurer and ask them to extend it.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    No, that is not how single-trip cover works. The starting date is the first day of the holiday, but cancellation cover commences as soon as the policy is taken out.
    Such as this (Direct line)
    Period of insurance
    Your cover begins when you leave your home
    at the start of each trip and ends when your trip
    ends. The only exception to this is cancellation
    cover – see below.
    Cancellation cover
    Your insurance covers you in case you have to
    cancel your trip before it starts. This cover begins
    on the start date shown on your schedule or the
    date you booked the trip, whichever is later, and
    ends when you leave your home area at the start
    of your trip (or your home for a trip solely within
    the UK) – see Section F
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys.

It is a single trip insurance.

It asked for 'journey start date' and then how many nights which I put in 7. but the time difference from when I leave and land back in uk makes it an extra night.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PS - the insurance is with coverwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts