Bid retraction

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
3 replies 848 views
pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
18.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
DH sold a widget.

A couple of people bid 20 second before the end, one with a sensible amount and the other with a ridiculously high amount.

15 seconds later and just before the auction ended, the user (no feedback!) retracted the ridiculous bid so the other sensible bid won.

10 minutes later the winner emails to say that they got a message to say they had been outbid, so could they cancel as they had bought another one.

This zero feedback bidder that put the ridiculous amount on has retracted 18 bids in the last 30 days.

Is it best for DH just to send a cancellation? (He is not happy about this)

How on earth does someone retract a bid so quickly?? And WHY???
Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)

Replies

• glentoran99glentoran99 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think you could retract a bid so close to the end, But the reason he has done this as someone was thinking of buying your item and used a dummy account to see what the highest bid was.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh what a pain.

I would cancel asap and block both buyers.

Could the ridiculous buyer be an action wrecker from a previous transaction? Or perhaps just someone intent on being a nuisance or they are both the same buyer checking out the highest bid...at least no one has paid.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably someone just intent on being a nuisance!

Most DH's recent sales have been BINs with no issues.

Let's hope the winner accepts the cancellation quickly so that he can do a second chance offer!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals