Ernest Jones lost my fiancee's engagement ring

Options
My Fiancee sent her year old engagement ring to be dipped it is white gold. To cut a long story short, the wrong ring returned to her it was three sizes too small and the diamond was half the size. Initially they apologised and said there had been a mix up they had found the ring and it was being treated. Following numerous telephone conversations with the branch and Customer services this week, it has now been admitted that the ring was handed to another customer who they have been unable to contact and who will not return their calls (we aren't surprised). Does anyone know where we stand? My fiancee is understandably upset and angry and now even if they manage to get the ring back doesn't want it. I think they should replace the ring with a new one and offer some compensation maybe they could double the size of the diamond to match what the other customer now has as hers was a 1/4 carat and ours was 1/2. Has anyone else had any issues as apparently according to them this has never happened before which I find hard to believe. They have lost something that is incredibly sentimental and this has now ruined the attachment she had to it, they have also lied saying they had at first located it then not then it was with someone else. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated, I can't tell you how angry we are about this.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    philbry1 wrote: »
    My Fiancee sent her year old engagement ring to be dipped it is white gold. To cut a long story short, the wrong ring returned to her it was three sizes too small and the diamond was half the size. Initially they apologised and said there had been a mix up they had found the ring and it was being treated. Following numerous telephone conversations with the branch and Customer services this week, it has now been admitted that the ring was handed to another customer who they have been unable to contact and who will not return their calls (we aren't surprised). Does anyone know where we stand? My fiancee is understandably upset and angry and now even if they manage to get the ring back doesn't want it. I think they should replace the ring with a new one and offer some compensation maybe they could double the size of the diamond to match what the other customer now has as hers was a 1/4 carat and ours was 1/2. Has anyone else had any issues as apparently according to them this has never happened before which I find hard to believe. They have lost something that is incredibly sentimental and this has now ruined the attachment she had to it, they have also lied saying they had at first located it then not then it was with someone else. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated, I can't tell you how angry we are about this.

You have the right to get an equivalent ring back to the one they have lost.

Not one double the size. I don't know what price difference that would make as to how reasonable that would be. A small goodwill gesture by way of apology would be appropriate. (and a refund of the redip, naturally)

Its a rubbish situation and I sympathise, but things happen, mistakes do get made and you don't just get to capitalise on that. A larger diamond will not bring back the sentimental attachment to the ring.
  • philbry1
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply my double the size comparison was tongue it cheek I suppose I should have used an emoji! It was merely to point out that’s what the other customer has received by getting my fianc!es ring by mistake. Mistakes are made I accept that however, you’re right the sentimental value is immeasurable and being lied to I cannot accept if you make a mistake admit it and then sort it out I’m awaiting a call back from customer service let’s see what they say
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply my double the size comparison was tongue it cheek I suppose I should have used an emoji! It was merely to point out that’s what the other customer has received by getting my fianc!es ring by mistake. Mistakes are made I accept that however, you’re right the sentimental value is immeasurable and being lied to I cannot accept if you make a mistake admit it and then sort it out I’m awaiting a call back from customer service let’s see what they say

Get the new ring, break up with fiancee, repropose?

Will that work :P
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So it's of huge sentimental value, but if they do manage to get it back, she doesn't want it now? How does that work then?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • philbry1
    Options
    Some people are superstitious about engagement rings and the other person has had it ten days. My fianc!e is in this category doesn’t let anyone else try her ring on and wouldn’t try anyone else’s. It’s ok maybe it’s the way I posted the original message thanks for your constructive replies. I’ll sort it out myself if I have to buy another one I will was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what the rights are.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Some people are superstitious about engagement rings and the other person has had it ten days. My fianc!e is in this category doesn’t let anyone else try her ring on and wouldn’t try anyone else’s. It’s ok maybe it’s the way I posted the original message thanks for your constructive replies. I’ll sort it out myself if I have to buy another one I will was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what the rights are.

Chances are if its multiple sizes too big for the other person they havent been wearing it...
  • philbry1
    Options
    Yeah you’re probably right it’s more than likely being resized ��
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Was the original ring purchased from Earnest Jones?

If not do you still have the receipt for it and possibly any documentation that describes it in detail?

It sounds unlikely that the original ring will be returned so my guess would be that you are either offered the same ring(but new) if it was an EJ ring or the cash equivalent with which you can purchase another one.

On a side note I would say if they still stock the ring you could refuse it on the possible grounds that whilst you appreciate white gold sometimes needs replating you shouldn't really be doing it on an annual basis.

I personally would push for the rings value back in cash,not vouchers so that you can go out and choose another together.

If you have clear pictures of the ring and a description you could always go to a local jeweller and enquire about having a replica made it isn't always as expensive as you may think and at least that way your fianc!e will get the option to have her ring handmade and especially for her.
    Google some local jewellers,not chain shops but the small independent possibly manufacturing ones in your area,if not you could consider taking a trip to somewhere like the jewellery quarter in Birmingham,or Brighton lanes or even Hatton Garden.
    To have a piece commissioned is not always as expensive as you may imagine!

Was the ring insured?
    Whilst it shouldn't be your responsibility to claim on your insurance company for EJ's loss I do wonder if again you could call your insurance company for some advice on their take on a valuation of it,even if it is just in an advisory role so you can see that what you are being offered if fair compensation for the action.

It is a strange situation to be in
    Good luck going forward
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps ask for the same size stone but upgrade to platinum that will never need re-coating.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    Sympathise with you both.

Hope EJ do the right thing.

Get the paper trail going and if not satisfied with heir speed/quality of response go higher up the 'food chain' till you get to top honcho.

Often their are more sentimental reasons accrued to a ring, so its a bit of a bad job that EJ could not afford the proper attention to your ring.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport