Salary works out over 48 weeks???

Options
Mrsmoney515
Mrsmoney515 Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi,
This is my first time posting on here. I'm struggling under standing how my employer works out there deductions and wondered if someone (knowledgeable) could help me with the maths please.
My salary is £15,081 annual salary
So I have worked out my hourly wage as
15081 / 52 weeks a year / 37 hours a week = £7.84ph hour.
So a days deduction would be £7,84 * 7.5 = £58.80

But my employer deducts £63.68
Which is £15,081 /48 weeks /37 hours a week = £8.49

I work 52 weeks a year at 37 hours a week with 25 days paid holiday.
Can someone please explain why the amount I'm paid per day and the amount I'm deducted per day is different?
BTW deduction is for day off looking after ill kids incase you need to know lol

Any help really appreciated, this was brought up at latest employee meeting and manager just said they were told to work it out based on 48 weeks. ��

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    I confess I don't really understand it either (and I'll be watching this thread with interest in the hope that I will be enlightened).

I think it's mean, but I would find it logical if an employer said that their employees earned their wages over 46.54 weeks. This being the time they are actually at work - the other 5.6 weeks are holiday. I can't see any logic in 48 weeks.......
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 893 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a bit confused you are saying your salary is Pro Rata but you seem to be working full time? Are you a term time worker? If so the 48 weeks would make sense.

They usually work out your salary based on number of weeks in term + holidays but it is paid over 12 months so that you don't have months with less pay due to holidays.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    This is my first time posting on here. I'm struggling under standing how my employer works out there deductions and wondered if someone (knowledgeable) could help me with the maths please.
    My salary is £15,081 pro rata.
    So I have worked out my hourly wage as
    15081 / 52 weeks a year / 37 hours a week = £7.84ph hour.
    So a days deduction would be £7,84 * 7.5 = £58.80

But my employer deducts £63.68
    Which is £15,081 /48 weeks /37 hours a week = £8.49

I work 52 weeks a year at 37 hours a week with 25 days paid holiday.
    Can someone please explain why the amount I'm paid per day and the amount I'm deducted per day is different?
    BTW deduction is for day off looking after ill kids incase you need to know lol

Any help really appreciated, this was brought up at latest employee meeting and manager just said they were told to work it out based on 48 weeks. 😕

I suspect because you get 4 weeks holiday + bank hols. It's not the correct way to work it out, but it's the only one that makes sense.

You said you get 25 days, but the minimum is 28, so I assume that's a mistake on your part.

Your pay slip should have your hourly rate on it anyway. - could you not just take it as annual leave and then there's no issues?
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    cr1mson wrote: »
    Are you a term time worker? If so the 48 weeks would make sense....
    I was also wondering if the OP worked in a school
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP says that she works 52 weeks a year, so apparently not a term time worker (and it wouldn't be very likely anyway as I've never heard of any school where term time is as much as 48 weeks). We need an explanation of why the pay is considered to be pro-rata.
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2018 at 5:13PM
    Options
    There are school support staff on 52 week contracts with a requirement to work during school holidays. My husband for one before he retired!

Hopefully the OP will clarify the calculations with whoever does payroll
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 893 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My ex colleague is paid for 48 weeks in a school setting as follows

39 weeks term time
    1 week Inservice
    6 weeks holiday
    2 weeks in Summer hols.

It just seems strange for OP to refer to pro rata if they are working 37 hours 52 weeks a year! Wasn't sure if confused as paid same every month.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I suspect because you get 4 weeks holiday + bank hols. It's not the correct way to work it out, but it's the only one that makes sense.

You said you get 25 days, but the minimum is 28, so I assume that's a mistake on your part.

Your pay slip should have your hourly rate on it anyway. - could you not just take it as annual leave and then there's no issues?

The OP is on a salary so there is no need to put hourly rate on payslip.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It makes sense to me that it is worked out with less than 52 weeks. If you imagine taking off every non-holiday day of the year you would never be in work, and it would seem right your pay goes to zero. But with holidays you wouldn't need to take off 52x5 days, but nearer 47x5 days. So not sure how they got to 48, but that seems in your favour rather than theirs!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Mrsmoney515
    Mrsmoney515 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2018 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the responses so far, to clarify, its an annual salary ( my bad saying pro rata ) and I do not work in a school.

I have just checked my employment contract and I recieve 25 day paid holiday plus 8 bank holidays.

Contract also says deductions will be made at 1/24oth of my basic salary. Which is about what they pay, but where does the 240 come from??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure